Thread: Unable to close Port 445 on Windows 7

Unable to close Port 445 on Windows 7

Recently i had bought a new system, on which i had installed Windows 7 as my operating system. However, i’m using Windows worms dors cleaner tool in order to close ports on my system. Now, the problem is that i'm able to close my 137 , 138 , 139 , 135 and 5000 ports on my machine, except port 445. Can any body tell me that why i'm not able to close port 445 on my system? Any one have any idea about it? Kindly help me out to get rid of the above issue. Would be greatly if any body helps me out.

Re: Unable to close Port 445 on Windows 7

The port 445 is a service message block used for file sharing on Windows XP, 2000, 2003, ME, and other SAMBA-related connections. The SMB (Server Message Block) protocol is used among other things for file sharing in Windows NT/2000/XP. It is used by various operating systems to give security options at high levels. In Windows NT it ran on top of NetBT (NetBIOS over TCP/IP), which used the famous ports 137, 138 (UDP) and 139 (TCP). The port 445 in inbound traffic scans the system typically for shared files that users outside try to harvest into the computer's system. In Windows 2000/XP/2003, Microsoft added the possibility to run SMB directly over TCP/IP, without the extra layer of NetBT. For this they use TCP port 445. This is blocked by port 445 to avoid the installation of malicious applications.

Port 445 is the "messenger" service in NT, W2K and XP. Port 445 is used for smb (server message block) over IP and might be needed for something like hosting a game, or rdc. The port 445 is commonly used for file-sharing. It connects the user to the server and vice versa. The port 445 is a typical file transfer security protocol to monitor the risk of overflow and program redundancy in sharing files. To close this port you need to make a quick change to an entry in the Windows registry.

In order to close Port 445 on your system, you need to follow the below steps mention.

1. First of all you need to Runregedit.exe on your system.

2. After that you need to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole

3. There you need to set the data of EnableDCOM and EnableRemoteConnect to "N"

4. After that you need to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters

5. Finally you need to clear the data of TransportBindName

6. And at last reboot your system. That's it and your job is done.

I had tried everything in this thread (and from other places) with no success. What worked for me was to disable the "Server" service and reboot.

Specifically: Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services

Within that, there's a service named "Server" with the description "Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. ..."

Just stopping the service wasn't sufficient, but when I set it to startup: Manual and rebooted, Windows 7 was finally not listening on port 445.

This allowed me to do port forwarding of port 445 for samba over ssh, which is the reason I was trying to get Windows 7 to stop listening on it in the first place.

Right. Disabling "Server" service is the only way I got it to work, too. I suppose one could try to only bind the "Server" service (on port 445) to certain devices (e.g., not the loopback device)? This MUST be possible through some trick.
    ALSO note that I had to start the "Server" service after forwarding the 139 & 445 ports because I couldn't map the network drive on the windows side without doing so.
    Last edited by drcharlescavanaugh; 15-01-2011 at 04:16 AM.

Hello,

How about the registry edit of adding "SMBDeviceEnabled" set to "0"

On XP PRO that would be:

start/run/regedit/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/NetBT/Parameters ... then right-click in the right pane and add NEW DWORD Value ... SMBDeviceEnabled with a Data Value of 0x00000000 (0) ... that works
    in XP PRO. Does it work in Windows 7 for closing TCP port 445??

Hey, buddy I recommend following steps which you can try to get the requirement of yours.
    1. You should logged in as Administrator of your computer and enter ‘services.msc’ in Start Run box. It will launch Services Consoles.
    2. You have to look for Server.
    3. Right click on Server and go for Properties.
    4. You should Stop Service and click on drag-down box located in the center and Click on Disable.
    5. Now reboot system.

ohmy Re: Unable to close Port 445 on Windows 7

I give that a try on a new Dell T3500 WS I have coming out and I need to close down whatever is listening on TCP port 135, also. Someone here said they did but I want to make sure it doesn't slow down the system at all ... in AHCI mode. Otherwise, I'll slipstream the mass storage controller drivers into a customized XP PRO bootable DVD using nLite and install my 32-bit XP Pro, which I like better than Windows 7 anyhow and hope it works well.

Also, it's my 'understanding' that this MB has a floppy drive controller on it so I might even (which I really want) be able to install a floppy disc drive and use F-6 during text-mode install.

However, in case all goes wrong and I cannot install XP, then would someone please tell me how to stop whatever is listening on TCP port 135 on W7?

(rant)
    Also, with regards to the horrific OS they called *Vista* and its slightly improved but awful Windows 7, and no way that I can find to control its disgusting outbound outcalling to various IP addresses that most clueless are not even aware of, which all can be completely controlled with Kerio 2.1.5 on XP Pro (use behind a router) with all unnecessary services disabled, I'd wonder if there is a way to control what IP addresses W7 tries to connect to with reverseDNS displayed? If there wasn't 25,001.8 versions of Linux but instead a solid workable version that had stable and actual drivers that Microsoft wasn't involving with blocking the production of, I think I would be using it instead of Windows. But, there's no way (for me, at least) to determine this with so many versions.
    (end_rant)

Thank you very much if you have taken the time to read this and hopefully reply with some advise.

Thanks, again

I would like to tell you that the port 445 is for the smb (server message block) on IP and that is required for hosting the game otherwise the rdc. My suggestion to you is not to close that as that might be in use. Then also if you want to close that then you can start your computer in the safe mode and close this from there.