Thread: How to remove virus

How to remove virus

My buddy gave me his lap top because he said it would not connect to the internet at his house. When I got it to my house, I wired and tried wireless and I am getting the same result. "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage", with the diagnose connection problems. I am getting a funky IP address, 169.254.94.245<preferred>.

This is something I have not seen before. I am connected to my router with limited access. The anti virus is Norton, which when I try to run does nothing, program won't run. When I try to unistall it, it is not found. I think the computer has virus, (duh), but I need to get rid of it without wiping the hard drive. Running Vista, secured router at my house, can't even connect to the unsecured router at my condo. All my other computers are connected, so it is not an issue with my router.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Possible Virus?

1. Download Norton Security Scan , its free. Perform a free virus scan.
    2. Also to make your pc free from spywares Download Ad-Aware

Re: Possible Virus?

Just update your antivirus by manually downloading the file from the Norton site. Then run the file in the infected computer. Restart your computer and press F8 continuously. From the menu select Safe Mode. After booting up run your Norton Full system scan. After that restart it in normal mode and click on Start > settings > right click on Network connections > Open. Right click on the connection which you are using for internet. Go to Properties > Internet Protocol and set everything on Automatic. Again restart and try back.

Re: How to remove virus

Also, Itried to static map the IP and DNS, a pop up comes up with IP/DNS invalid. 192.168.1.xxx.

current DNS: fec0:0:0:0:ffff::1%1 two other same thing but end in 2%1, 3%1. I've never seen that before.

The only problem is that I can use my computers to download the Norton, but when I try to install it on the infected computer, the first thing the install wants to do is check for internet connectivity, which is not working.

I tried the Norton scan, and when I try to install it, tells me that I already have Norton 360 installed. When I try to remove Norton 360, tells me that the file is not found.