Thread: starting dhcpd failed

starting dhcpd failed

Hello friends,

I am working with a peer-to-peer network with our linux computer serving as the firewall and with a DSL modem. The new computer is running a newer version of Red Hat Fedora than the old computer and I am not confident how to get the desktop of the old computer to look out settings.The things is that the other nic eth1 is setup active on boot, using static IP address and submask. I have the eth0 made as active on boot, IP defined by dhcp and auto DNS from our provider. So how can I get to the pc on the old machine since the login says: Red Hat Linux release 9? how do I fix the issue on the new computer so that I won't get the "starting dhcpd: failed" message?

thanks for reading

Re: starting dhcpd failed

I guess you must put a global ddns-update-style statement to /etc/dhcpd.conf.it can sort out the issue.In order to get the same behaviour as in 3.0b2pl11 and earlier versions, put a line that says "ddns-update-style ad-hoc;" Also Go through the dhcpd.conf manual page for more information. else it could be a issue with SELinus Policy,just disbale de SELinux policy of dhcpd with "system-config-securitylevel" and everything will be fine for you

Re: starting dhcpd failed

There lies certain possibilities One reason is that dhcpd is attempting to begin with prior the network card is active. Another is that dhcpd is not set up. We will require more info to trouble shoot possible issue and try many things to pin point where that goes wrong.If it's a very small network and you are not much in to network setups, then I'd have to agree with friskydrifter's advise stay out of Linux box. Invest in firewall/router hardware for less than 150 bucks and it will be much better investment.