Thread: How To "Ping" FTP Server List

How To "Ping" FTP Server List

Dear all,

I have a issue regarding a "network" of ftp servers to which I have to connect one after the other. The issue consists in the reply from not available servers that hangs with no response messages such as "Connection refused" or "Destination unreachable".Can you suggest any commands to handle ftp replies or to test ftp connection prior it hangs??

Thank you for your attention.

Re: How To "Ping" FTP Server List

You can able to ping your server by issuing the command ping followed by the servername or its IP address and f Press Ctrl+C to quit pinging.You can configure an FTP server on your computer so you can upload and download files easily. Most distributions come with an FTP server so it should not be complex at all.As for the mail server I recommend you don't unless you really know what you're doing since it is quite simple to lax the security one tiny bit and then your pc becomes a spamming relay. If you really need to configure a mail server, implement some means of secure forward - POP authentication before SMTP or authorized SMTP, or something to that effect

There are a lot of tings behind this scenario. One instance would be to write a shell script which pings the server, prior you attempt to log into it. Perhaps something like this
    Code:

for i in server1 server2 do
    ping -c1 $i >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
    if [ $? = 0 ]; then
    ftp $i < somescript
    fi

hope this helps

You can either do just a simple ping <host> (replace <host> with the name or IP of the machine you want to ping) and then use Ctrl+C to cease pinging, or use ping -c <number> <host> to ping a computer specfic number of times.as for the ping thanks for that infor i could ping but had not idea of how to stop it in windows this is stop automatically