Thread: Windows Server 2008 ADDS - DNS question

Windows Server 2008 ADDS - DNS question

Hello Freaks,

I have just configured Server 2008 for a pal with active directory and DNS installed. The domain is companyname.local and the server is using the ADSL modem IP settings for gateway and DNS. Which has 5 workstations that are in the domain, their DNS is made to the server IP address. All I have set up is user accounts with passwords, folder redirection with GPO and a couple of shared folders.They only seem to be able to access the more common websites . Do I need to configure anything for the DNS as I have no knowingly configured this.

ton thanks ..

Re: Windows Server 2008 ADDS - DNS question

Once these steps are properly implemented, you can possibly to add another domain controller to your domain and configure as a DNS server for duplication (at that point, you can also configure all domain computers with the second DNS entry in their IP configuration, pointing to the freshly promoted DC).If it was up to me i would have installed SBS here, but as i'm taking over the stuff we have the only option is to repair it as much as possible.

Yes, this can be accomplish.You can perform this by adding the DNS entries to your local DNS server .trust me it will work out. No special configuration required.You have to put a new Forward Lookup Zone. In that zone you will required to create a host called www that will point to the IP address of the computer to which you need to redirect the requests.

You would take care of most users, but you're about to something a bit more hardcore than that if you need to cease the really persistent people.they can just alter their DNS server. If management really need them to stop, you'll want some sort of web filtering fix, there are many out there, some free such as Untangle, some paid-for like WebSense, St. Bernard, etc.There is also OpenDNS, which is free and has some web filtering that does exactly what you're looking at there - DNS redirecting. Anyway, still not the good for complete web blocking, will only slow some people down. OpenDNS is a good backup system for us