Thread: Why my upload and download speed is low on Time Warner Cable (Road Runner) connection

Why my upload and download speed is low on Time Warner Cable (Road Runner) connection

I am using Time Warner Cable (Road Runner) at my home. Usually I was getting the download speed of 768Kbps and upload speed of around 384Kbps. However, since last 1 month the speed has considerably dropped on my network and I am still unable to find out the perfect reason for this. Regardless of what software I use the speed is always low. I contacted RoadRunner and complaint about this but there are unable to solve my problem. Is there any one who can explain me why my upload and download speed is low on Time Warner Cable (Road Runner) connection?

re: Why my upload and download speed is low on Time Warner Cable (Road Runner) connection

I think you are confused between kbps (Kilo Bits) and KBps (Kilo Bytes). I would recommend you to test your connection with www.speedtest.net and see what is your upload/download speed. Also keep in mind that the test will result the speed in KBps and not Kbps. Both are different and usually speed is defined in KB's and internet connection is defined in Kb's. Whatever you connection is, you should get the speed of 1/8th (in KBps).

re: Why my upload and download speed is low on Time Warner Cable (Road Runner) connection

It seems to me that your upload speed has been capped. In most of the cases it has been seen that people only want to have fast downloads, which affects the internet bandwidth. However uncapping your network could solve the possible. You can request your ISP for uncapping your network.

I think your computer is infected with some kind of virus which is constantly using your network bandwidth. May be virus is blocking your internet connection by using it for its operations. You can scan your computer with MalwareBytes to check and remove any such malware. It may also be due to some user known software which is constantly utilizing the internet connection.