Thread: What should be the Downstream Power Level be for cable modems

What should be the Downstream Power Level be for cable modems

I am having a Cable modem which I think has some problems. When I went into its web page, I found that Downstream Power Level was 2 dB. Is this normal? What should be the Downstream Power Level be for cable modems? What is the value in your case of your modem?

Re: What should be the Downstream Power Level be for cable modems

Downstream Power Level shows the power of the signal your cable modem is getting. +10 to -10 is the normal acceptable range according to most of the manufacturers specifications. My Downstream Power Level is at 0 dB. The ideal value is 0 dB. But 2 dB is also not bad. I think everything seems to be normal. Did you faced any problems anytime?

I assume you want to say that the downstream power varies around 2 dB. If you are having some variation issue then either the modem is faulty or you have some connections problems. Why don't you check out the cables and power supply if everything is proper and functioning? You can even try resetting the modem and configuring it again to see if this the settings issue.

My Downstream Power Level always remains between 0 to -2 dB. There is no doubt that most modems will operate perfectly but they still shows different and almost every one shows around 0 dB. If you are experiencing some problems with your connection then try testing your internet speed using www.speedtest.net. This will provide you all the information about your internet connection, your upload and download speed. Otherwise according to me everything seems to be normal.