Thread: ADSL test and Noise Margin and Attenuation

ADSL test and Noise Margin and Attenuation

I want to test my ADSL line. I have a lot of problems with my ADSL line. I am on 2Mbps line but the download speed is just 50Kbps. When I tested my Noise Margin, it was around 5.8 db on an average whereas Attenuation was 9.4 db. What your ADSL test reveals Noise Margin and Attenuation on your connection? Am I only one or there is someone who has experienced this before?

Re: ADSL test and Noise Margin and Attenuation

Noise margin is the amount by which a signal exceeds the minimum amount for proper operation. Attenuation is the gradual loss in intensity of any kind of flux through a medium. So the greater Noise margins value, the better it is. Noise margins should be at least 10 dB to get adsl. Attenuation should be 0-43 dB for 2 Mbps line.

I am using D-Link DSL-502T ADSL Modem and my Line Attenuation is 9dB and Noise Margin is 26dB. Anything under 13 db for attenuation is good but for Noise margin the greater the value the better is the internet speed. Modems are usually pretty good in increasing signals from your ISP. If you are not having modem then I would recommend you to buy one in order to get better performance.

Noise Margin is commonly known as "Signal to Noise Ratio". The higher the number the better for this measurement. Any value below 6dB is bad. This means you are experiencing a lot of packets loss. Try to monitor your network and see what applications are causing the packet loss. On the contrary, the lower dB is the Line Attenuation, the better is the internet reception. Since your measurement is lower, that means its outstanding.