Thread: What is Qos packet scheduler

What is Qos packet scheduler

Hello, Can you Tell me What is the Qos packet Schedular, What does Qos packet Schedular , and how can i enable or disable the Qos packet Schedular , please help me thanks in advance

Re: What is Qos packet scheduler

Qos packet scheduler Provides traffic control on a network using IPSEC and applications and equipment supporting the quality of service. The service also manages the quality of bandwidth. In fact the service is expected to provide a kind of intelligent allocation of bandwidth between applications where the need is greatest. for this purpose the 20% is also has been denied by Microsoft. If you do not use netmeeting or windows media player (to play internet stream, streaming) you can disable it.

Installing the QoS Packet Scheduler

• To install the QoS packet Scheduler
    • Open the Network Connections.
    • Click on a connection and then on the File menu, click Properties.
    • Click successively on Install, Service, and Add.
    • Click QoS packet scheduler, and then click OK.

• To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Administrators group on the local computer, If the PC is joined to a domain, members of the Domain Admins group may be able to perform this procedure.
    • To open the Network Connections, click Start, select Control Panel, then double-click Network Connections.
    • When you install QoS Packet Scheduler over a network, it is installed on all local network connections.

For your answer, as far as I know, the QOS packets are reserved for multimedia programs so if you do not listen to song or radio on the internet you can it off without worry. But I am not aware of the difference in speed after disabled. to Disable it in windows xp goto Start/Control Panel/Double click on Network Connections / double click log on to the LAN / properties then click the General tab, then you Can disable QoS Packet Scheduler.

Networking Quality of Service (QoS) refers to a variety of techniques that control the flow of network traffic, helping to improve transmission speeds. QoS Packet Scheduler is installed by default for local area network (LAN) connections, but if the default settings have been changed or QoS Packet Scheduler has been uninstalled, you can install it manually. Here's how to do it:

• Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.
    • Right-click the connection that you want to install QoS Packet Scheduler on, and then click Properties. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Click Install, click Service, and then click Add.
    • Click QoS Packet Scheduler, and then click OK.
    • NoteYou don't need to restart the computer after installing QoS Packet Scheduler

Are you guys nuts??!!! Look I hope I save someone from doing something really, really stupid. Look the QoS packet scheduler is design not only to control network traffic but it prevent your pc from getting serious data surges that can thoroughly wipe out your hard drive and potentially damage your computer. And look i know that sometimes there is no noticeable change in your connection speed and that is because on wi-fi it is entirely possible that the host computer has that option enabled as well to prevent it from overloading. Basically all computers were not created equally, and when your little home pc is bombarded by data from a T3 line and you wonder why your os stops working and your hard is unreadable you will realize your folly. Messing with these settings is not for amatuers. Sure if in a completely controlled situation, you may turn the qos off and recieve that extra little boost. Basically don't be stupid, or if you are going to do it, give your computer to me, because you don't have much use for it later after you fry all the hardware on it.

Oblivious1 the packet scheduler is NOT to protect your PC. its simply to direct priority traffic.
    See Below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb870370.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by oblivious1 View Post
    Are you guys nuts??!!! Look I hope I save someone from doing something really, really stupid. Look the QoS packet scheduler is design not only to control network traffic but it prevent your pc from getting serious data surges that can thoroughly wipe out your hard drive and potentially damage your computer. And look i know that sometimes there is no noticeable change in your connection speed and that is because on wi-fi it is entirely possible that the host computer has that option enabled as well to prevent it from overloading. Basically all computers were not created equally, and when your little home pc is bombarded by data from a T3 line and you wonder why your os stops working and your hard is unreadable you will realize your folly. Messing with these settings is not for amatuers. Sure if in a completely controlled situation, you may turn the qos off and recieve that extra little boost. Basically don't be stupid, or if you are going to do it, give your computer to me, because you don't have much use for it later after you fry all the hardware on it.
    Truly Oblivious!

I couldn't find the Qos Packet Scheduler install option under the install option. any suggestion where from i can install it! :/

Quote Originally Posted by Kabiz View Post
    I couldn't find the Qos Packet Scheduler install option under the install option. any suggestion where from i can install it! :/
    If you want to install QoS Packet Scheduler, then follow the below suggestions:

1. Open Network Connections.
    2. Click any connection, and then, on the File menu, click Properties.
    3. Click Install, click Service, and then click Add.
    4. Click QoS Packet Scheduler, and then click OK.