Thread: SMTP won't go through dlink router

SMTP won't go through dlink router

I am using D-Link DIR-655 router. I am having problem while sending mails through this router to my SMTP mail server. Every time I get the error message saying your email sending failed. I have checked this with my networking engineer and he said it must be blocked by my router. He confirmed me that all the settings are perfectly OK but the problem is residing from my side. Is there anyone who can explain why my email won't go to SMTP through D-Link router and would also fix it?

Re: SMTP won't go through dlink router

It seems to be settings problem on your D-Link router. Try out resetting your router to the factory default settings and then reconfigure your router once again. Now repeat the procedure of sending the email and see if it still blocked by your router. Also allow the connection from your router and also the firewall to confirm if something is blocking it or not.

First of all try to ping your smtp mail server and see if you are getting the 100% reply. You can also try out setting a telnet connection to your mail server just to make sure the prompt doesn't hangs because if it is then that is server issue probably misconfiguration or so; but if not then that indicates that the problem resides locally which could be Outlook configuration problem or even virus, trojans etc.

When you try to send an e-mail message through an SMTP connection, the email sending may fail resulting into some error messages. This issue generally occurs if the message is larger than the message size limit of the SMTP connection. Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Microsoft Server Edition. To resolve this problem, install the latest service packs. Also verify that all SMTP e-mail addresses in a distribution list are valid.