Thread: Network Setup Help

Network Setup Help

I am setting up a small business network and I'm not too familiar with networks.

I would like to have some input on the ideal configuration for the setup, specifically I want to know how to connect all the equipment, ie Connect internet to router x, and run cable to server y. on 2nd NIC card, run cable to switch a etc.

What I have is:

Internet service does not require router, the building is internet ready through the outlets in the wall.

1 Windows Server 2008 as server (will host operations software and sql 2008) this server has two NIC cards as well as a modem for faxes. Plenty of USB outlets etc for printers....

3 Windows Vista as workstations
    2 printers (one for color, high quality and another for volume prints)
    1 fax machine
    1 NETGEAR - Wireless-N Router with 4-Port Ethernet Switch
    1 D-Link DGS-2205 5 port Gigabit Switch
    1 Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router with 4 port switch
    1 Linksys EtherFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch

I have two other pcs that are older with Pentium 4 processors that I can upgrade or change the OS if needed and one older Pentium 4 server with SMS 2003 on it that can be upgraded as well if you suggest running as sql server or what ever... I have spare hard drives (Seagate 150 gb each).

I just want to set this up to have the best infrastructure for my office.

We shouldn't have more than 5 people using the system at any one time...

Any help or advise or links to resources would help.

Re: Network Setup Help

One of the first items that I would do is put a router ( your Netgear Wireless N) between the internet provider and your network. I would not trust using any existing outlets in the building as they must be plugged into a router or switch someplace in the building. If that is the case then your systems would be vulnerable to anyone on that same network. The router would hide your machines IP addresses to the outside world and nobody would be able to connect to them.
    From the router I would then recommend a switch ( your D-Link Gigabit). The routers usually have 4 ports on them but since you have 5, or maybe more desktops, a switch would be necessary. This would mean that your server would not need to act as a DHCP server so no second NIC would be needed. This will speed it up a little since it would not need to be handling these chores.
    Connect each computer to a port on the switch and set them up to obtain an IP address and DNS server address automatically. This should get them on the network. You would also need to set them all to the same Workgroup (Do Not leave it at the default name) which is done by right clicking My Computer and choosing Properties and Computer Name.
    I would not recommend a wireless network due to security. It is more secure with a wired compared to a wireless network (not to mention faster because you may not have Wireless N nics in your machines). If money is a problem for cabling then I would recommend wireless.
    I need to know if your printers are just local printers (hooked up only to a PC) or network printers (hooked up by network cable) before I can help you with that. Also, your fax would hook up to a regular phone line and not an internet connection.

View attachment.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by adj; 31-07-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: update

Turn on the router .Connect your Internet modem to the router.Hook one computer to the router.Connect this first computer to the router via a network cable. Open the router's administration tool.Open your Web browser with the computer hooked to the router.Put the router's address for network administration in the Web address field .Log in to the router. Provide the Username and password,you can get it from the router's documentation.If you need your router to connect to the Internet, you must enter Internet connection information into that section of the router's configuration.change the network name (often called SSID). While the router comes to you with a network name set at the factory, you will never want to use this name on your network.Verify the network connection is working between your one computer and the router.configure additional network security features as desired to guard your systems against Internet attackers.

Thanks guys!

Adj, I think the best thing to do would be to network the printers. My software application for my company requires me to be able to print to a networked printer with an ip address...so I will network them.