Thread: Error 'This server's clock is not synchronized with the primary domain controller's clock'

Error 'This server's clock is not synchronized with the primary domain controller's clock'

I have a server which must be synchronized with a external source , but when i attempt to join windows 2003 machine to windows 2003 domain controller, i get message saying,"this server's clock is not synchronized with the primary domain controller's clock". Can someone please tell me how can i fix this problem ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Error 'This server's clock is not synchronized with the primary domain controller's clock'

This behavior can occur if the time or date is not synchronized between your computer and the domain to which you are attempting to log on. Use the Net Time command to synchronize the server's clock with the domain controller's clock.The account you use when doing NET TIME requires the "User Right" to change System time. To resolve this issue, log on to your computer locally using an account with administrative privileges and set the time and date to match the time and date on the domain controller that validates your logon. Below is list of steps that can be used to synchronize the time.

Click Start, Run
    Type in CMD and click OK
    At the command prompt type something similar to the following:NET TIME /DOMAIN:name /SET

Re: Error 'This server's clock is not synchronized with the primary domain controller's clock'

If the client computer's time or date is not synchronized with the authenticating domain controller, Kerberos validation does not succeed.Run the services application in the admin tools folder. (Make sure you are either an administrator or have admin privelages) Select the Windows Time W32Time and make the startup time automatic rather than manual or disabled. This occurs because of the variation in the time stamps between the AS_Req and AS_reply between the client and server. Because Kerberos is the only form of logon authentication between two Windows 2000-based computers, the logon does not succeed.

What i can suggest you is to remove your network cable, login to your machine and change your system time to the current server time .According to Microsoft, The internal clock for servers must be set to within 10 minutes of the domain controller's clock. If the clocks are not synchronized then Kerberos authentication will fail.