Thread: How to disable network in C++

How to disable network in C++

How can I disable the network by C++. I want to know the coding and steps to execute the command. The am aware of the traditional way by which you can enable and disable network from control panel. I am using windows xp with visual c++. I need some codes by which I can disable a network of computer sharing the same nic. Also what the other way by which the nic of windows can be disabled and then enable back as per the need. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to disable network in C++

You are having Service Control Manager (SCM) in windows which offers you several API function for the network purpose. Try this. Open the connection o the Service Control Manger ('OpenSCManager()'). Then look for the service you want to stop and then open it. Stop the service which will disable it ('ControlService()'). Then you will have to wait for sometime till the service is being terminated ('QueryServiceStatus()'). Then after when the service is stopped close the handle to service ('CloseServiceHandle()'). Then close the handle to service manager also ('CloseServiceHandle()').

You can disable it by editing the windows registry file. Go to start menu > run > type regedit. Then navigate to the following path - HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Tcpip/Parameters/interfaces/{your nic id}. Now see the key name NTEContextList. It is a Multi_Sz key. Clear all the contents in the key. The value inside if deleted then the nic will be disabled. Then if you want to enable it back again give the following value - 0x0000000.

C++ has multiple option by which you enable and disable the nic in your system. But better you should use Shell network interface. This method is useful for those who want to start and stop the network service which usually appear in the Network connection shell folder. It only works for windows xp and higher version. Other than this see the listed codes to get more information on nic.
    • # ifconfig -a --- This code shows up the details of all interface.
    • # ifconfig eth0 down --- This will disable the network service.
    • # ifconfig eth0 up -- Enable the above service.