Thread: Psexec used with defrag with ping

Psexec used with defrag with ping

Hi Folks,
    I aided psexec to run through a .txt file to def rag all the computers in the domain.but many of them were timeout accessing remote computers. so i decide to ping.i ran the psexec on that particular computer with the same psexec command except instead of using the @file i used computer name and it worked fine.but i doubt why do some of them timeout when i can ping them and if i run it on that specific pc the psexec works?any ideas?

thanks.!!

Re: Psexec used with defrag with ping

While you running it from a local administrator account it should have administrative privileges and rights on that particular remote machine.you are free to do this under the all powerful System account according to you wish. but i need to say run a local Administrator account with the same credentials if you are with remote machines which uses the same Administrator name and password, but if you are logged on as an administrator

If the number of the computer you have is bit higher running this remotely would not be ideal.place the script that will run the defrag on a PC it would not be too difficult to make it run on a remote PC.You can use a tool from sysinternals to run an exe/Bat/cmd on a remote PC. Look for PSexec which is part of PStools. As too getting the workstations, you have several options.

In case you haven’t noticed, I like to use free tools that allow me to manage systems remotely. use ping to make sure that the PC is online. Report to a text file, database, or whatever you want the success or fail of the ping. If the ping test passes, then call a cmd file on a remote PC using Psexec. Make sure you do not use wait on return and you use the switch for Psexec that does not wait for the remote app. This way the server script will not take too long to run.I also ran an internal forum board with this exact information.