Thread: Disconnect Automatically Terminal Services

Disconnect Automatically Terminal Services

I am running windows server 2003 in my system which controls my office network of some 20 computers. Here I need some settings to configure terminal service. First how can setup which force a terminal service client to disconnect when it is left idle for long time. Then I need some general information on the group policy settings of Terminal Service. Like how to configure to keep the connection alive and setup a automatic reconnection. Also how can I remotely end up a terminal session in a server. Then the last thing is that I have a old windows 2000 server. I want to transfer the TS CAL file from it.

Re: Disconnect Automatically Terminal Services

The first query to disconnect a terminal client when idle is possible by group policy editor. To do this go to Administrative Tools > Terminal Service configuration. Then click on connection and select RDP-Tcp. Right click on it and click on properties. Then go to session. Tick on both the boxes. Give an idles session limit time. And exit the application. You are done here. The terminal service will get disconnected automatically as per the time assigned in the settings.

To remotely endup a terminal session you have give the listed commands. By this a terminal session can be terminated remotely. To do this launch command prompt. Authenticate to the server : net use /user:administrator \\MyServer\c$. Then type session 1 /server:name of your server. Other than this group policy settings in an advance option to configure the Terminal Services. First you had mentioned automatic reconnection. This policy is found under - Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services. By this you can automatic reconnect the service in case of any discontinuity. Then comes keep connection alive. It is found under the same listed above. When this service is enabled then it checks up periodically that the connection is still alive. And if not it reconnects it back again.

It is quiet simple to transfer the entire Terminal Services to an different computer. To do see the listed instructions. First to transfer licenses run the Terminal Services licensing program in your server and click on view > properties. Then on the connection tab press telephone and your area. Click on OK. Then use the action menu to press Install license. Here a licensing wizard comes up and gives a phone number. Then call up csc and get your license.