Thread: What is the Purpose of the preferred network list

What is the Purpose of the preferred network list

On what basis preferred Network list should be selected? What is the purpose of the Preferred Network list? These are some of the basic question that i ask myself before selecting any one of the Network, but does not satisfy myself, so i want to have the opinion from all those who have already selected preferred network for themselves.

Thanks to those who helps.

Re: What is the Purpose of the preferred network list

On what basis preferred Network list should be selected?
    The preferred network list is a prioritized list of networks you would like to connect to. If multiple networks can be available simultaneously in particular places, you can rearrange the list of networks which ever you want. You can add networks to the list, which saves time, especially when you are using encrypted wireless networks. Your wireless adapter automatically connects to networks in the preferred list, which avoids the need to enter encryption keys on secure networks.

For to talk about the purpose we will take the following example, such as for Global roaming is to allow user to be mobile. What i would suggest is to setup a network which will allow to teach them how to switch preferred network and how to re-set the handheld by taking out the battery etc. here the user select the most preferred network where they can communicate with the other user without having any barrier.

I can dynamically control my Preferred network list with my location so that i can change my network location and my airport card will automatically log me onto the other subnet. The MBP is running OSX 10.5.1 - I think this is one of the 'new' things in leopard a I am sure I had that option on my powerbookYou could try having one location (unless there's some other reason for needing more than one) and using Apple's command line tool located at '/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources' called 'airport' (type 'airport --help' for a list of options) via Applescript change the network. I don't know if this will work as I've only access to the one network.