Thread: How to get past VPN configuration in novell BorderManager

How to get past VPN configuration in novell BorderManager

Previously my vpn was working fine. But now, at the end of the VPN configuration must be VPN server configuration either "client-to-site or site-to-Site" marked. In the case of "client-to-site" will automatically install the window with an expanded line: "IPX network address of WAN Client: "

It is automatically configured IPX protocol, but error messages appear when loading various IPX / SPX modules. does I have to have "disable" or "unconfigured" IPX in INetCfg "

Even a complete removal of all entries with IPX and unload SMDR SMDR / new leaves after a restart the trite IPX protocol reappear.

Besides appearance: If the IPX protocol removed, does the time synchronization via port 123 with a time server from outside no more.

Only a complete deletion of the VPN configuration and reconfiguration time is ticking again!

Who has a solution? or How do I get past VPN configuration in novell BorderManager back !!!

Thanks in advance

Re: How to get past VPN configuration in novell BorderManager

Hi,

I have a little experience with the Border Manager Novell, but I think the meaning is the following:

When site-to-site VPN tunnel will take care of the server itself to the tunneling of IPX packets, and while all IPX clients, if they exist. When client-to-site VPN tunnel is on the client-site server is not available, which could, therefore, the IPX address of the (single) WAN clients already in the server configuration can be specified.

IPX is completely removed, there is even in NW 6. .5 SP5 still have a problem with re-appearing IPX bindings, where the configuration via auto-detection of the NIC was loaded (eg with Intel cards). This can then only to the "hard way" with a manual modification of the files in etc / resolve. In your case, of course, the Border Manager ensure that IPX after rebooting returns. If that's the case, I would stop IPX, but that is speculation. The time synchronization of which should not be affected.

I can not understand with IPX. Until BM 3.7 IPX was necessary for any application.

Since Novell NW 5.x with the assertion that IPX is only optional, besides just IP.

How do you expect the transfer of IPX packets to the outside work, whichever router routing IPX because already, and that world? Furthermore, then also install the client IPX?

As mentioned above, after setting up> Client-to-Site "and reboot, there is no connection to the server more time.

NetWare IPX will actually no longer needed, and if the BorderManager IPX are mentioned, then only to those customers who still IPX just want to have.

The rest was my guess, and I am naturally assumed that IPX over IP is tunneled. This raises the question of IPX routers are no longer, because on the whole way from the Border Manager server to BorderManager client (or a second server), only IP packets are exchanged, although both networks for some historical reasons internally yet IPX using, and for all the old IPX applications as a single IPX network looks like.

If multiple BorderManager clients exist, the server must of course know about the VPN tunnel which he IPX addresses can therefore only likely to IPX setting.

I was just disturbed that as per standard install instructions IPX is configured and if it had not been properly installed as a protocol was just brings trouble. For example, the case with the synchronization. Instead of the full debug messages gabs only "Start Poll" and "Time Server in sync." After setting the restart flags were once all the debug messages, then "Start Poll" and "Time Server in sync."

Have now a install guide found (http://www.novell.com/support/micros...4FCA9B2C7DEE4), this is how it works (nearly) and IPX will not be touched. However, I have no user certificates created and tested.