Thread: Firmware OpenWRT or DD-WRT

Firmware OpenWRT or DD-WRT

Currently i am using Belkin router which keeps crashing now and than. So i need to change it to some other router but in addition i am also looking to install firmware. i prefer the two, OpenWRT or DD-WRT. If anyone who had experience with either of these could tell me the difference between the two firmwares

Re: Firmware OpenWRT or DD-WRT

OpenWrt provides a fully writable filesystem with package management instead of trying to create a single or static firmware.It frees you from the application selection and configuration provided by the vendor and allows you to customize the device through the use of packages to suit any application. Whereas DD-WRT purpose is to make finding if you router is supported and locating the files required to install dd-wrt easier.Often the authors are suggesting that also alternative router firmwares like DD-WRT might be affected. At the current state of our investigation of the issue we can tell that DD-WRT is not vulnerable by default, only when WAN management is enabled there is a chance to attack the router.

The EnGenius EOC-5610 and EAP-3660 routers are now available pre-flashed with DD-WRT. And if we talk about OpenWRT or ddWRT, i would say both are so much better than whatever firmware came pre-installed on the router that it's almost silly to compare them. Ultimately DD-WRT veers around depending on direction of Pope BrainSlayer.Tomato offers less features than both DD-WRT and OpenWRT, but it's for a different subset of users.DD-WRT offers more VLAN and WLAN control, but it's in constant flux. Openwrt is the most customisable and hardcore solution but dd-wrt is more accessible.

i could prefer you for DD-WRT

The package system for OpenWRT is really nice where DD-WRT never seemed "friendly" to me, but it's mostly a UI issue. but as per my colleagues who are aware of dd-wrt, DD-WRT is more user-friendly and it supports USB HD.