Thread: OAB not updating in Outlook 2003

OAB not updating in Outlook 2003

Hi,
    My offline address book is not updating in outlook express 2003. I am using a Microsoft Exchange server 2005 on my system. I tried it to update many times but still it is incomplete. This is really annoying. I got connected with server a month ago. I am having one front end server and two mail box server. Now here user can see my address list fine but on the contrary new users are not there in cache mode. As it automated to update in a day but still some information in it is missing. Can any one tell me that under what conditions will outlook will performs a full OAB download.

Re: OAB not updating in Outlook 2003

I will recommend you to update your OAB manually. Because the OAB's performance it not up to mark. You can try using EMC or EMS to update your address book manually. When it happened to me after manually updating the OAB I tend to restart some services back again. Other things you will need to look that verify your server properly weather it is configured to update OAB. The change what you made you can only see after 24 hours. If still the problem persist delete the local OAB files from clients system and wait back for the result. I hope this will work for you. Best of luck.

The best and simple solution for your problem is OABInteg Tool. It connect to the public folder store. It read the content and properties of OAB files and folders. In other words it is an OAB scanner which scans and locate the problems related to OAB files. The tools replicates the following process :
    • It replicates the process by Ms Outlook connects to a public information store to get the OAB files.
    • It also simulates the method by with the OABGEN process is used to connect to the public information store to rebuild a OAB.
    • It automatically generates a profile called OABInteg-Admin-[TimeStamp] in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles. After that it deletes it when the tool completes it task successfully.
    • It is very useful when the existing profiles on teh machine is absent.

You can download it from the post install it and runt. It will resolve your issue of OAB updation.

Many users are affected with the same problem. There are many reasons behind this issue. The cause which is determined for this problem is when the Global Address List is moved from the Microsoft Exchange Server Organization. And on the other had the outlook profile tries to updated the OAB from the default location. So it remains incomplete or unsuccessful. The best way to work around this is to get the book manually. To download it manually go to the tool menu and point to send/receive. Select Download Address book. Click on OK.