Thread: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental)

Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental)

Hi,

I have just re-start my pc, taking a glance in services, I found a service with the name: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental)

So far I found nothing special, it found as Unknown registered manufacturer.

What is it? because someone has my pc very secretly infiltrated or what is this?

My PC is currently working without any problems ie cpu utilization, etc. .. all within the normal range. System crash, I have installed windows XP SP2 on my pc a few days back.

Re: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental)

It is a tool for network access associated with WinPcap. WinPcap is the Industry-Standard Tool for link-Layer Network Access in Windows Environments: it allows applications to Capture and transmit packets bypassing the Network Protocol Stack, and has useful Additional Features, including kernel-Level packet Filtering, A Engine and Network Statistics support for remote packet capture.

WinPcap consists of a driver, that extends the operating system to provide low-level network access, and a library that is used to easily access the low-level network layers. This library also contains the Windows version of the well known libpcap Unix API.

WinPcap is the packet Capture and Filtering Engine of many Open Source and Commercial Network Tools, including Protocol Analyzers, Network Monitors, Network intrusion Detection Systems, sniffers, Traffic Generators and Network testers. Some of these tools, like Wireshark, Nmap, Snort, ntop are known and used throughout the networking community.

Re: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental)

Go to Start-Run-services.msc -> Find the service "Remote Packet ... etc" and look at the properties on which path the file. Maybe it brings enlightenment. WinPcap often comes bundled with wireshark / ethereal and nmap or ...

In Task Manager you will process called rpcapd.exe, which is related to Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental).