Thread: Windows XP workstation services

Windows XP workstation services

Hi,
    I am running windows xp workstation in my Institution. I know there are multiple services in the workstation running. Now In order to make my network more secure I want to disable some unwanted service. But I am not sure about it. Which one should I allow and which I should not. So I just need some information that those service which are not so important and how can I stop them. As they can be a security threat to the workstation.

Re: Windows XP workstation services

Yes you are right. One most better way to make the workstation secure is to turn off unnecessary services. I am listing some the services which are running in the back ground and you can disable it. This not affect any performance of the system. The below listed services can be disabled.
    • Alerter - This one notifies selected users and computer of administrative alerts.
    • Application Management - It initiates the process of installation, deletion and keeps record for an Active Directory IntelliMirror group policy programs.
    • Background Intelligent Transfer - It help the users to transfer data between severs and clients in the background.
    • ClipBook - By this information is stored in clipbook viewer which can be shared by remote computers.

Normally you cannot figure out just by seeing the number of services running. But it a good practice to avoid any unauthorized access to your system. Because it is possible that any service can open a security hole to the unwanted users. I am giving you some service which needs to be shutdown. The first one is - Distributed Link Tracking Client. It is engage with link tracking of shortcuts. So it not actually so important. The second one is - Distributed Transaction Coordinator. This service co-ordinates with the transactions that span multiple resource manages like databases, message queues and file system. The third one is a very common service which is called - Error Reporting. It collects information about any error occurred and report to Microsoft. And the last one is - Fast User Switching Compatibility. It helps management for application that need assistant in multiple user environment. So, by stopping this services you can relax down and work.

I think you are not comfortable regarding your workstation security. It is true that many services opens a security hole for unwanted access. This hole are easily found. So it is well said that prevention is better than cure. Do one thing I am giving names of some servicing which you can stop and it will not effect the system also. Look out for them and disable them rightaway.
    1. HID Input
    2. Indexing Service
    3. Internet Connection - Firewall (ICF) / Sharing (ICS)
    4. IPSEC services
    5. Machine Debug Manager
    6. Messenger
    7. Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider
    8. NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
    9. Network DDE
    10. Network DDE DSDM
    11. Network Location Awareness (NLA)
    12. NT LM Security Support Provider

Disable the above listed things. If you feel you can revert back the changes. I will recommend you to use a strong firewall software and antivirus programs.