Thread: can't update avg, help

can't update avg, help

I have the latest version of AVG antivirus and recently I was not able to update AVG from the liveupdate. I also cannot connect to their home pages. Is their site down or what?
    -Their is a time for one thing, and times for other things, but now isn't the time to read this message-

Re: can't update avg, help

I think they have really overloaded servers used for AVG Free updates. Either try later or upgrade to their Pro version. You can always go to their homepage and download their definition list manually.

Just move the file into the Grisoft folder and it will ask you if you want to replace the existing file with this new one. Just click yes.

From AVG's forum dated 7 Nov, 2008:
    Our technology department is currently working on improving one of the main servers responsible for providing updates of AVG Free Edition. This maintenance may have, under specific circumstances, effect on availability of update files on our servers. Backup systems, which are now in charge of providing updates, may be from time to time overloaded with customer requests and we are doing our best in order to improve their function to remedy this issue. If you encounter issue with “Update failed”, please retry in a few minutes to update AVG manually (open AVG User Interface, click the “Update now” button).

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. In a week time, new improved update servers should be available.

Although the server must not be running at 100% because I still have to update manually.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

things that may help
    1) check Internet connection (if wireles go as close to the router as possible or use eternet
    2)manually download from www.avg.com I think
    3)try going into a different admin account
    4)turn off all other firewalls

And at times you need to completely uninstall it first, then reinstall. It can play up if it finds any previous trace on your PC. Go to grisoft's own site to get your new freebie download.