Thread: Set up VPN on WHS

Set up VPN on WHS

I am working on Windows Home Server (WHS). I want to setup VPN connection on my server. Can anyone provide me some steps to set up VPN connection on my WHS so that I can access it from my laptop anywhere? I google it a lot but didn't find a perfect solution for this setup. Is this possible?

Re: Set up VPN on WHS

Just follow the below steps to allow VPN users to access the WHS:
    • Click on "Start" button
    • Click on "Control Panel"
    • Click on "Administrative Tools"
    • Click on "Computer Management"
    • Select "Services and Applications"
    • Select "Routing and Remote Access"
    • Select "Remote Access Policies"
    • Double-click on "Connections to Microsoft Routing and Remote Access server"
    • Click "Grant remote access permission"
    • Apply changes

Re: Set up VPN on WHS

Create the VPN Network Connection on your WHS
    1. Get the access of your server using a remote desktop connection or via the Advanced Admin Console addin. Move to "Control Panel" - "Network Connections" and select "Create a new connection". Select "Set up an advanced connection".
    2. Select "Accept incoming connections", and then "Allow virtual private connections". At the "User Permissions" screen, select the user to whom you want to get the VPN access. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Choose "Properties" and specify IP addresses in a range outside of the ones that are normally used by your DHCP. Confirm by selecting OK, then Next. Click Finish.
    3. Now set up an exception in your firewall. You may need to forward port 1723 in your router to the Home Server IP address.

Setup the VPN Connection on your Laptop
    1. On your laptop, run "New Connection Wizard" by going to "Control Panel" - "Network Connections". Now select "Connect to the network at my workplace". Then select "Virtual Private Network" connection and give a unique name to this connection.
    2. Then enter the website name for your home server eg. xxx.homeserver.com. Then select "Do not use my smart card", "Next" and "My Use Only". After clicking "Next", select the check "Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop" and click "Finish".
    3. Test the connection by clicking on the shortcut created on your desktop. Enter the username and password. If the connection is setted up properly, test it to make sure everything was done correctly.
    4. Make sure that VPN connection is active and the laptop is connected to the server. Then install the connector software which will be found in the Software shared folder on the server.