Thread: How can i repair checksum error on database using exchange eseutil

How can i repair checksum error on database using exchange eseutil

I'm running Windows Xp SP2 on my pc alomg with exchange server 2003. The problem is that whenever i try to back up my data from the exchange server, it shows checksum error on mydatabase page. One of my friend told me that you can use ESEUTIL tool in order to get the checksum repaired on your exchange server 2003. So, i would like to know that how do i repair checksum error on my database?an any body provide me the correct solution for the above issue? Any kind of help on the above issue would be appreciated.

Re: How can i repair checksum error on database using exchange eseutil

With the help of Exchange ESEUTIL tools, you can defragment your Exchange information store offline, check the integrity of the store and repair the information store in case of emergency. ESEUTIL is used to perform some tests on the information stores and to fix some errors.

Just follow the below steps mention.

1) Try to make sure the store is dismounted.
    2) Then perform an offline backup of the EDB, STM, and LOG files (first rule of data recovery is "Do No Further Harm".)
    3) Then, Run ESEUTIL /D against the database. That might actually fix it. It might be doubtful that there may be small chance that the corruption is in the whitespace of the database that is discarded during the /D.
    4) If you are not able to use it, then run ESEUTIL /P against the database
    5) Then, Run ESEUTIL /K again to make sure that the corruption is cleared up.
    6) Run isinteg -fix -test all tests on you pc, against that database. You may need to run it several times until it reports no errors.
    7) Then, try and remount the database. Run a full online backup of the entire storage group since doing a /P or a /D resets the log file signature, so you need new backups from this point foward.

Eseutil is used to defrag, check the integrity, and repair an Exchange database. It can be installed with Exchange and can be found onthe \Exchsrvr\bin folder. Eseutil examines the structure of the ESE database tables and records and has eight modes of operation, including Defragmentation, Recovery, Checksum, Integrity, Repair, File Dump, Copy File, and Restore.

The following three levels of damage can occur in an Exchange database:

• Page (file system) level
    • Database (JET database engine) level
    • Application (Exchange information store) level

The Esefile.exe utility can detect errors in databases at the page level. The Eseutil.exe utility can detect and repair problems at both the page level and the database level. The Isinteg.exe utility detects and repairs problems at the application level.

Damage at a lower level (the page level) almost always results in problems at the higher levels (the database or application level). Therefore, after you repair a database with Eseutil, you almost always need to use Isinteg afterward.

Damage at the database and application level is related to issues in Exchange code or in third-party programs that integrate with Exchange. Damage at the page level is typically caused by driver, firmware, or hardware issues, although page-level damage might also be caused by problems in Exchange.

ESEUTIL basically helps you to check the database integrity, perform soft recovery, and hard recovery too if database is badly damaged. I recommend you to go through this article if possible to find out the possible solution.
    Last edited by Maqbool; 03-08-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed, Removed The Same.