Thread: OS level of a remote machine

OS level of a remote machine

I have 3 domain controllers and two of them, on the same vlan, lose their master browser.

I look for the moment on the fact that my machine with Vista or Mac OS X takes to the master browser and sets the VLAN concerned.

My question is, is there a way to know the OS level of a remote machine with nmap?

For now, I tested with the suptools of Microsoft but to no avail in any case to find the problem.

Re: OS level of a remote machine

The browstat command allows to know who is the 'master browser'.

Is there a samba in the lot?

Level controllers, it's only NT, the samba is there just for the files, it was the OS and checked the details and it does not come from them. In fact after studying frames, it was found that it was a Mac OS 10.5 which seeks the master browser and unfortunately not, amounted master browser. Necessarily the secondary controllers are lost. So, you go back on all our Mac OS 10.5 to check the level of OS levels that there is one who does not bazaar in addition to that detected.

Incidentally, thank you for the idea of browstat, I actually shelled following Microsoft support and there is enough depth tested a lot. Only problem remains the lack of pieces of information on the Internet to detail the possibilities of software (for less).

Anything.

Regarding the Mac OS, I do not know if you use Sharity or Samba to access the NT domain.

If you are in the second option, the smb.conf a CIFS file server, with no roles in the field, must (I exaggerate a bit) contain:

Code:
    local master = no 
    domain master = no 
    preferred master = no

Well I tried smb.conf files of macs and most (depending on the version) either the information that you specified is not me at all. The question I pose for those who do not have these lines, it is necessary to add these three lines in the global?

Incidentally, what surprises me is that the machine is the master browser when no info in the smb.conf does these lines.

Similarly engage in on another subject, which file in Windows XP lets you stop a client to play the role of browsing on the network?

Well I tried smb.conf files of macs and most (depending on the version) either the information that you specified is not me at all. The question I pose for those who do not have these lines, it is necessary to add these three lines in the global?
    I do not know if the added problem for this system. I would say not. To take into account: I do not know the Mac OS. I do not know what impact this might have.

Incidentally, what surprises me is that the machine is the master browser when no info in the smb.conf does these lines.
    Should see what to do with these lines correctly declared. There is also a directive in smb.conf for the OS level:
    Code:
    # For example: 
    os level = 11
    For a value ranging from 0 to 255. Over this value, the greater the chances of winning an election are.

In the series of Samba 3, it is almost unnecessary to use this option because the Samba configures automatically. But you can not put the problem to 0 to prevent short-circuit it.