Thread: Confused about how to extend my wireless signal

Confused about how to extend my wireless signal

Hi Everyone!

I am running a small connection of linksys WRT54G3G at my office. the signal i can access is of limited range, & beyond that range i can't access it. I asked linksys support for the repeaters but they only have the wired repeaters. that means i can't access for wireless. They suggested me to take 2 access points connect.

Please Help !

Re: Confused about how to extend my wireless signal

You must have got an external antennae to boost it's range but ultimately it's designed for a hotel/office room or small apartment. The wrt54g3g is a beautiful device. The recognized way to extend a wireless network is to connect a cat 5 cable from the existing wireless router to a new wireless router which then broadcasts the same signal. I don't want to deal with a long length (10m or so) of additional cable cluttering up the place just after an expensive renovation.

Buy another router and set it to repeater mode, buy a repeater, or buy directional/stronger antenna.

You can also try tilting the antenna or moving the router about the room for a minimal gain... at 50 feet you should be getting good signal though, how many walls & floors are between your new pc and the router?

2 walls from upstairs to office - if I move the router outside i get 3-4 bars. (set it out the window). I have a another netgear router doing nothing - so I might just attempt to build a wireless bridge.

Don't know how hard it is though.

Antennas, by itself do not boost range (sendding signals), different size and kinds of antennas improve "reception" of the signals. In order to boost the range, the device (in this case your router) will need to boost the power of the signal, wich is send throught the antenas. Because that is not possible to do without modifying the router, there are booters that will do the job. If you do a google search with "Wireless Network Amplifier " you will be able to find a good range of products for your situation.

You could use those options and you could also do something as simple as buying a wireless repeater or access point to help broaden your wireless range. Often times that will work out best. What kind of environment do you have that you are losing signal or out of range? Do you have a lot of lead paint or reinforced concrete and/or metal? I have found that its cheaper to get 2 g rated routers and place one in my basement to one side and set up another access point on the next floor on the opposite side of the building and use the parabolic reflectors. This helps keep the signals blanketing most of the space with maximum gain.