Thread: Connecting two networks

Connecting two networks

I run a small semi-private business within a bigger company. Due to company policies, internet access is really slow and crippled, and as such unusable. So I rented an additional phone line and installed a wifi DSL modem for wireless internet access with my Mac Book Pro. I also have an available ethernet socket on the wall, connected to the company network (plus a company PC plugged to a second ethernet socket).

Here is what I'd like to achieve:

My Mac accesses the internet wirelessly through the DSL modem (subnet 192.168.0.x, gateway 192.168.0.1 as usual, DHCP or not for the Mac IP adress, WAN IP adress irrelevant and dynamic...).

At the same time, I'd like to be able to connect one of the company's network drive through the Mac ethernet adapter connected to the wall socket (different subnet of course, ethernet adapter IP assigned by company DHCP).

Provided I can overcome company objections and get all necessary authorisations, is this technically feasable ?

Re: Connecting two networks

I would suggest an additional nic in the server connected to the internet router. Let the router provide the ip to the server nic. This will put the server and wireless stations on the same subnet and provide internet to the server for online backups while still maintaining the intranet security. Do configure the firewall software on the server. It would also be better if the online backup could be port forwarded instead of just a full open pipe to the server.

A computer that wants to connect to a network needs a network interface card (NIC). You probably already know that. The network card is what converts the data into digital signals that travel across the network cables. You might have figured that out on your own too. But what you probably don’t know is that each network card has a certain numerical combination burned into it known as a MAC address. MAC stands for Media Access Control. This MAC address is a unique identifier of that card, and in turn the computer that uses that card. No two network cards in the world have the same MAC address (assuming the manufacturers follow regulations). So the MAC address gives the computer an identity on the network by virtue of the hardware (network card) installed.

There is also another identifier for a computer in a network, that is configured through the computer’s software. That is the computer’s IP address. I’m sure you’ve heard that term before. Here’s what you need to know about it: IP stands for internet protocol. IP addresses are of the form xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. A computer on a network may have an IP address of 128.0.0.5. Other computers on the network would have a similar IP address like 128.0.0.4, 128.0.0.2, 128.0.0.3 and 128.0.0.6 and so on. If you notice, all the IP addresses of the computers on this network are of the form 128.0.0.x where x is different for each computer. A different computer network would have a totally different form of IP addresses such as 64.0.0.x or maybe 192.0.0.x. So basically the IP address (a) identifies a network as a unique family and (b) identifies each computer on that network.

Quote Originally Posted by Shen View Post
    I would suggest an additional nic in the server connected to the internet router. Let the router provide the ip to the server nic. This will put the server and wireless stations on the same subnet and provide internet to the server for online backups while still maintaining the intranet security. Do configure the firewall software on the server. It would also be better if the online backup could be port forwarded instead of just a full open pipe to the server.
    I recognize the need for a second nic. And the office iMac would have two of those, as it is equipped with an ethernet adapter and a wireless Airport card.
    The question is: can the computer access different networks (different subnets) through these two adapters at the same time ?