Thread: Server transfer & upgrade

Server transfer & upgrade

Hi,

I am running a win svr 2k (small business) with exchange server.
    Now I want to buy a new server with win svr 2k8 (SBS or standard, which one to choose for max 25 users?) and exchange 2k7 on it.
    Can someone advise me the best price-class for a server like this? 1000-2000 euros, 2000-3000 euros, ...?

Secondly, how do I transfer the domain and exchange server most safely with a maximum of 1 day downtime?
    I was planning to connect the new server to the network and degrade the old server and promote the newone.
    I think there is some tool in win svr 2k8 to transfer the domain controller, isn't it?

And finally, what to do with the exchange server?

I would be very grateful if someone would respond to my questions!

Thanks!

Re: Server transfer & upgrade

There are a few things to consider. If you have the bandwidth and/or have access to bandwidth you can choose either building your own server by buying the components or you can go with a Dell (is my preference). I am not saying HP isn't any good. Based on readings, HP is better; however, the ads keep pushing Dell.

If you do not have the bandwidth, I would recommend going with a dedicated server. Personally, you may be money ahead and they already have all the redundancies in place for power and bandwidth. I am using GoDaddy for my dedicated server and I run a website hosting and e-mail hosting company. I weighed the options and for the horsepower I needed, GoDaddy was much cheaper to go with. My server costs about $145/mo. with the specs I wanted.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

Quote Originally Posted by syssin View Post
    I was planning to connect the new server to the network and degrade the old server and promote the newone.
    I think there is some tool in win svr 2k8 to transfer the domain controller, isn't it?
    Yes, you would basically hook the other machine up to your network, install Server 2008 on it, join it to the domain, run the ADPrep program from the 2008 machine, upgrade it to a domain controller, transfer the FSMO roles over, transfer any other service over, and then demote the old Windows 2000 machine.

You then have your old network upgraded and running on Server 2008!

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc731188.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by syssin View Post
    And finally, what to do with the exchange server?
    There are two ways to migrate exchange server from one server to another - the hard way and the Ed Crowley way. The hard way is to do a complete backup of the old server, then restore the backup to the new server. How hard this actually is depends on your configuration. Even if the backup and restore are easy to accomplish, you must remove the old server before setting up the new one (because you can’t have two servers with the same name at the same time), and that means you run an increased risk of downtime.

Get some detail information about Windows server 2008 here - http://www.commodore.ca/windows/serv...08_upgrade.htm
    Also, refer this thread for your other doubts - http://forums.techarena.in/server-migration/1010582.htm

Sorry for this late reply.. And thanks for the replies!

I have one more question:

In the thread explaining how to migrate to 2008, there is a step telling me to join the domain as a member server.. I don't get it how to do that. When I install SBS, I only get a screen to give a name to the server and the new domain.

Can someone please help me out again?

thanks!