Thread: Problem with "Connect to a network" button in Start Menu

unsure Problem with "Connect to a network" button in Start Menu

Hey Everyone,

I'm unable to connect to a network button in Start menu. Whenever i try to open it, a blank windows appears on my screen. It shows me an error message that "Connect to" doesn't respond. Can any one help me out to resolve the above issue? Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Problem with "Connect to a network" button in Start Menu

Troubleshooting connection problems can be a challenge because there are so many possible causes. First, try these steps:
    • Open Network Diagnostics by right-clicking the network icon in the notification area, and then clicking Diagnose and repair.
    • Make sure that all wires are connected (for example, make sure your modem is connected to a working phone jack or cable connection, either directly or through a router).
    • If you're trying to connect to another computer, make sure that computer is on and that you have enabled file and printer sharing on your network. For more information, see Networking home computers running different versions of Windows.
    • If the problem began after you installed new software, check your connection settings to see if they have been changed.

1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

2. Right-click the connection, and then click Properties. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Follow these steps in order to troubleshoot a general connection problem. This process covers the most common problems first.

Use Network Diagnostics.

Whether you’ve just set up your computer and you’re having trouble connecting to the network for the first time or you’ve had a connection for months but suddenly lost it, the Network Diagnostics utility is your best bet. This automatic troubleshooting tool does all the work for you. If it recognizes the problem, Network Diagnostics suggests solutions. In some cases, such as when you have a disabled network adapter, Network Diagnostics will fix it for you.

Hey try to remove and then try to add the Connect To link and see if that fixes the problem. Just Right-click the Start button, properties, Start Menu tab-->Customize, and remove the dot beside 'Connect To'. Then Click OK. Then restart your system, then repeat the process, adding a dot in the circle beside Connect To. Then again click on Click OK.

Hope so it may resolve your issue.

If no networks are found, you can manually enter all network settings. This is how you do it:

In the “Connect to a network” window, click on “Set up a connection or network”. Select “Manually connect to a network” and press the “Next” button. First, enter the “Network name”. In some cases the network name is identical to the name of the router - for example, my router is a Linksys, so the name of the network is Linksys. Choose the security type and the encryption you use on your network. Now type the security key and check the option "Start this connection automatically". Click the "Next" button, then click "Connect to" and that should be all.