Thread: How to configure a dedicated DNS server.

How to configure a dedicated DNS server.

I want to configure DNS server in a separate/dedicated machine.The scenario is the 1st machine is running

Windows 2003 server with Active Directory with

IP address 192.168.1.1

---------------------------------------------

DNS Server windows 2003 server

IP address 192.168.1.2

Preferred DNS 192.168.1.2

When i try to resolve by nslookup it says "unknown server" I want to integrate my DNS server with Active directory if i use a separate machine then it is possible?

Well if i configure DNS during Active Directory t configure properly but want to make DNS in another machine.

i know that there is some mistake from my side when deploying a dedicated server for DNS.i should be thankful if you may kindly help me .

Re: How to configure a dedicated DNS server.

To setup a DNS (forward lookup and reverse zones ), it also need to make configurations within the server.

Please open a ticket to your support server with your account details. They will provide you the configuration details.

Hey!

If using the new style Start menu: Click on "Start", "Control Panel", "Add or Remove Programs" and select the "Add/Remove Windows Components" tab on the left-hand side.

If using the "Classic" style Start menu: Click on "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "Add or Remove Programs" and select the "Add/Remove Windows Components" tab on the left-hand side.

In the "Windows Components Wizard", highlight the "Networking Services" and press the "Details" button.

Then, check "Domain Name System (DNS)" as shown in Figure 2 below and click "OK" to close each window and "Next" to install DNS. You will be asked to insert your Windows Server 2003 disk. Click "Finish" once the installation is complete.

You have now installed DNS.

If you are using the new style Start menu, you can reach the Internet Information Services console by clicking "Start", "Administrative Tools" and selecting "DNS" from the list

Right-click on your server name in the list on the left-hand pane and select "Configure a Server". The "Configure a DNS Server" Wizard will start. Click "Next".

On the "Select Configuration Action" screen (shown in Figure 4 above) select "Create a forward lookup zone (recommended for small networks)" and press "Next".

Simply enter the name of a suitable domain which you intend to use internally. I am going to use my own domain and add appropriately named "subdomains" to access internal network resources. For example, to access my Intranet, I will enter http://intranet.techarena.in where "intranet" is the subdomain.

DNS information is stored in a file within the system32 folder. The "Zone File" screen simply gives you the opportunity to use an existing backup file or create a fresh one. In our case, we will simply create a fresh file. Press "Next".

Forwarders will allow non techarena.in requests to be answered by other DNS Servers. In this case, I have entered the IP addresses for my ISP's DNS Servers so I can still browse the Internet. Only simongibson.com requests will be answered by our internal DNS Server, everything else will be answered by the external DNS servers.

Forwarders will allow non simongibson.com requests to be answered by other DNS Servers. In this case, I have entered the IP addresses for my ISP's DNS Servers so I can still browse the Internet. Only simongibson.com requests will be answered by our internal DNS Server, everything else will be answered by the external DNS.

To complete the "Configure a DNS Server" wizard, click "Next" and "Finish".

Now that our DNS Server is operational, we need to add a Host name. As I have set up IIS to use "Host Headers" I need to create an entry for my Intranet. This is going to be intranet.techarena.in.

To add the new Host, right-click in the white space in the pane on the right and select "New Host (A)..." from the menu that appears.

In my case, my website is hosted externally so I will need to add another Host called "www" which will point at the IP of the web server on which it is hosted. I will also need to do the same for my email by adding a "mail" host.

Type the subdomain name into the upper box and the IP address it should forward to (in this case, the web server) in the lower box. Then press the "Add Host" button. A message will then appear indicating if the new host was successfully added after which you can either add more hosts or press "Done" to close the "New Host" screen.

configure your client PCs to use the new DNS Server that you just created...!
    All the best...!

i am extremly thankfull "Solomon" for your detail reply.Well i have done it all but how can i make DNS intregrated with AD if our DNS sever which we r going to configure is on another machine.

By defult i use the same machine i.e Durning AD installtion i choose DNS to configure at same time & it work fine.Now i want to seperate AD computer and DNS computer so in that cause should i use the same steps which u mentioned?