Thread: What is vttimer.exe

angry What is vttimer.exe

Hey Guys,

I would like to know that what is "vttimer.exe "? I get this error message poping up whenever i turn on my pc. It shows me the following error message C:\Windows\system32\Vtimmer\vtttimerr.exe. Does any body have any idea about this error? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: What is vttimer.exe

vttimer.exe is installed alongside the drivers for S3 chipsets and adds increased diagnostics and functionality for these products. "This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.\r"

VTTimer.exe is a program that is installed along with other drivers. The exact disk location where it should be stored on your computer is also shown below to verfiy it is not spyware, as many spyware programs use similiar names and just locate them elsewhere on your hard drive. Always check the proper disk location of your programs if you are concerned that they may be spyware or malware. This programs purpose is to provide configurations and diagnostics for various different chipsets and various graphics card chips. The name of this is actually S3 screentoys and it is from S3 graphics.

The vttimer.exe process is used by your Via based graphics hardware. If you are not experiencing any difficulties with your graphics hardware you should leave this process running.

vttimer.exe is flagged as a system process and does not appear to be a security risk. However, removing VT Timer may adversly impact your system.

The Process Server database currently registers vttimer.exe to Via. This is part of Via Gaphics hardware drivers.

File VTTimer.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32 or sometimes in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files" or in a subfolder of "C:\Documents and Settings". Known file sizes on Windows XP are 53,248 bytes (68% of all occurrence), 49,152 bytes, 45,056 bytes, 36,864 bytes, 81,920 bytes, 73,728 bytes.

The program has no file description. It is not a Windows core file. The program starts upon Windows startup (see Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run). The program has no visible window. VTTimer.exe is a trustworthy file from Microsoft.

It is assumed that users are familiar with the operating system they are using and comfortable with making the suggested changes. BleepingComputer.com will not be held responsible if changes you make cause a system failure.

This is NOT a list of tasks/processes taken from Task Manager or the Close Program window (CTRL+ALT+DEL) but a list of startup applications, although you will find some of them listed via this method. Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL identifies programs that are currently running - not necessarily at startup. Therefore, before ending a task/process via CTRL+ALT+DEL just because it has an "X" recommendation, please check whether it's in MSCONFIG or the registry first. An example would be "svchost.exe" - which doesn't appear in either under normal conditions but does via CTRL+ALT+DEL.