Thread: Virus-free Linux

Virus-free Linux

i am using linux Ubuntu till now i am without virus protection i read this thread Do Linux require virus protection and i feel i need to get anti virus please can any one tell me how can i install it for my linux .thank you.

Re: Virus-free Linux

Clam Antivirus
    To begin, you must first ensure that you ClamAV on your computer are. To do this you type in the terminal window:
    Code
    sudo apt-get install clamav

Enter your password. The scanner is now installed. In between you'll have time to confirm.

Because ClamAV is a text-based virus scanner, you will also from the terminal window only. If you prefer an interface, you must also install ClamTK. This goes the same way as ClamAV. In terminal, type this:

Code
    sudo apt-get install clamtk

Now see through "applications" -> "System Tools" option "Virus Scanner".

If you ClamTK then boot you get the following message:

To fix this we need a number of steps to follow. The first is to ensure that we are authorized to use such file. This open "Terminal Window" and type:
    Code
    whereis freshclam

You get a line where you can see where freshclam to find.
    "Whereis" is a code that is always used. If you are looking for a program and you can not find the directory, this command is really a godsend.

Then we type:
    Code
    sudo chmod 644 <freshclam location

Below you see how it looked like to me:

Now we freshclam download itself. We do this with the command:
    Code
    sudo apt-get install clamav-freshclam
    To ensure that you also can update ClamAV, you should update files download. This is the command:
    Code
    sudo apt-get install clamav-GetFiles

Your virus database update in ClamTK you root rights. This gives you the program to start using the terminal window "gksu clamtk" in typing. Gksu does the same as sudo, however, it is especially for programs with a GUI.

The database ClamTK is normally updated several times a week, so make sure you maintain it weekly.

As you can see the picture above go to "Help" -> "Update Signatures". ClamAV is now ready for use. To actually do a scan, go to "File" and choose "Recursive Scan. If you choose a simple scan, it will be only the files in the selected folder scanning, and not the underlying folders.

AVG Another good and free virus scanner for Ubuntu is AVG. Perhaps you know this program, it is also for Windows. AVG requires an entirely different form of installation. To begin with you the Debian installer from this site to your desktop download. Ubuntu is a Linux distribution based on Debian, the installation files or does not work correctly. If the download is complete open the file and choose "install package"

Even if you start AVG is wise to go through the terminal window with the command "gksu avggui", which gives you more rights in the program itself will, as the possibility of the virus database update.

Another possibility is to "Applications" [b] -> [b] "Tools" -> "AVG for Linux Workstation" to copy it to your desktop for example, or in the toolbar at the top or bottom. Then you have the right to the properties of the shortcut and use the "Command Line" adjust. Enter here, obviously, "gksu avggui in.

Note that this adjustment applies only to this shortcut.

Then a scan to press test and check the directories that you want to check for viruses

without firewall its not possible to save your self Linux open source firewall.