Thread: How to connect my workgroup?

How to connect my workgroup?

hi,
    I'm having trouble setting up my home network.i cannot connect to my workgroup. Everytime I try to access the workgroup by clicking view workgroup computers it disply nothing.it says Contact the system administrator to find out if you have access permissions. if you can help me I would really appreciated.What should I do?I have disabled all firewalls,including the Windows firewall.

Re: How to connect my workgroup?

Permissions can be set on Files and Folders with CACLS or XCACLS.

Permissions can be None, Read, Change or Full.
    'Full' being the same as 'Change'' plus the right to administer e.g. grant additional users rights to read the file.Permissions can be assigned to individual users or to Workgroups.

If a user has no rights to the files in a folder the security tab in the GUI will not appear (if you have no rights to even list the file names then you have no rights to list the security attributes either.)

Ownership of a file will override all access permissions - administrators can take ownership of any file. SUBINACL can change ownership from the command line.
    Newly created files will be owned by the account used to create them (unless the account is an administrator).

Change the computer names on both machines to something you'll easily recognize. Change the Workgroup name on both machines to the same name, eg. HOME. Reboot both machines.

Setup shared folders on both machines - preferably NOT desktops but folders on root of drives, eg. C:\Folder or G:\Docs.

Try to access them from one computer to the other using names, eg \\second_comp.

Do you have the required services running?

Does your network have a router that connects to the internet?Do your computers use wireless or wired connections.Post the system spec or computer model of the computer you are trying to link up.

If you care connecting through a lan then gointo control panel and select internet options.Under connections select lan settings.Click on automatically detect settings.

How is it connected and how big is your network?Pinging - implying that you might be in the same subnet?
    Have you tried using the IP address intead of names to connect?Can you see other computer on the network?