Thread: How do i access my Hp shared printer over lan

How do i access my Hp shared printer over lan

Hello Friends,

I'm having Hp printer which is shared on Lan. I can access the printer from each and every PC over LAN, but the problem is that after some time the shared printer is not able to access from any PC over LAN. In order to access the printer i have to reboot my pc where the printer is physically connected. Can any body tell me how do i access my shared printer over lan? Does any body have any idea that how can i do so? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: How do i access my Hp shared printer over lan

Make sure you have file and print sharing enabled on both printers. You do not need to install the drivers first on the second computer because once it finds it over the network, then it will install the drivers for you.

Of course you have to make sure your printer is set to be shared over the network. On the second computer you might need to physically add the printer by doing \\master computer name\printer name.

If you did it all right, then you'll only have to do \\master computer name, and the rest should pop up.

Try to open the printer folder on your machine and drag and drop the printer to it. If you don't see it, make sure that the printer folder on the fist laptop is shared properly and get the IP address if that machine. Then go back to your machine, click start, run and type in \\IP_address and press enter. You should see the printer folder. Open it and do what I said before w/ the dreg and drop.
    As a side note, your machine can't find the printer possibly because you didn't check list in directory.

Have you tried setting up the printer as the same user on both machines? That is administrator with both passwords being identical? Usually printer sharing hangs on the user/password option.Check the security settings on the printer and make sure that the user you are setting up for printer access has full permissions for that printer. If after this something is still preventing access via:\\machinename\printername you should be able to get access via:\\192.168.0.2\printername (being 192... the shared computer's ip address)

With Remote Desktop, you can connect to your work computer from home and access all of your programs, files, and network resources as though you were actually sitting in front of your computer at work.

You need three things to create a remote location:

1. Microsoft Windows XP Professional must be installed on the computer containing the files and programs that you want to access from a remote computer. The computer must also be part of a corporate network in which Remote Desktop connections are permitted. This computer is known as the host.

2. The remote computer must be running Windows 95 or later. This computer must also have the Remote Desktop Connection client software installed. The remote computer is known as the client.

3. Both computers must be connected to the Internet through a VPN connection.

Note: If you're not connecting to the host computer through a VPN, you'll need to use the actual IP address of the host computer instead of the computer name.