Thread: Problems with router and signal strength

Problems with router and signal strength

hi,
    I have ADSL connected via a Netgear V2 DG934G Router as wireless access point. I have been having problems with the signal.. Recently the signal strength that I get with my sony laptop and my Orbit 2 has dropped dramatically, to the point that it is unusable. Before this I have always had an excellent signal.I've tried anything possible to increase the signal.Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.please help!!

Re: Problems with router and signal strength

hi,
    try to Update the drivers for your network adapter. Especially if your computer is a few years old, download fresher drivers. Confused? Fear not. Drivers are simply a special type of software that allows devices - like a wireless adaptor in your laptop - to communicate with the rest of your computer. Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager. You’ll see a list of all your devices, including your wireless network adapter. Right click on the adapter and pursue the driver update, following the prompts. When I updated the drivers for my own network adaptor, I was able to improve my computer’s response to the home wireless signal.

Replace devices in your home that can interfere with network traffic on the 2.4GHz frequency range. These devices include many cordless phones, microwave ovens, and the like.Check your signal strength with these devices on and off to determine if they are the cause of your signal problems.Buy a wireless network analyzer to track down the source of interference.

The signal strength of a wireless connection is one of the most important factors that has to be considered. If the signal strength is to low it can happen that the connection cannot be established at all or that it will fail while being connected. This can lead to all kinds of problems such as data loss or that the user has to enter data again because of the interrupted connection.