Thread: Having problem in Windows Xp network

unsure Having problem in Windows Xp network

Hey everyone,

I have a Toshiba router with me and i'm trying to set up an Windows Xp network over my two computers. Currently the problem, i'm facing is that whenever i try to click on the target computer, i get an error message stating that i may not have the access on the network and the path wasn't found. But i can not see the main pc on the other computer at all. Does any one have any idea about this issue? Kindly help me to set up an Windows Xp network.

Thanks.

Re: Having problem in Windows Xp network

Give your Windows Xp computer the following ip address 192.168.0.1and following subnet 255.255.255.0 and give the other computers ip address as 192.168.0.2, with the same subnet. Now try to ping. Check out whether the network connector lights comes on the network cards? Your Windows Xp computer probably will now wont go on the internet, though as its likely to get an ip address from the network card from your isp.

I think you may be having problems with your Windows XP computer, it may be thinking that your network card connects to the internet, and its not connected with other computers. You don't need DNS, though Windows XP will use DHCP automatically. I would highly recommend getting another network card or a hub though.

Re: Having problem in Windows Xp network

The first problem is that the default name for your workgroup on the network has been changed. In Windows XP, the default name for the network is Mshome.

The fix for this problem is easy, you can change the name of the workgroup on Windows XP to match the name of your Windows Xp network. On Windows XP, right-click My Computer, click the Computer Name tab, then click Change. The screen shown nearby appears. In the Workgroup box, type in the name of your Windows Xp network name. If you’re leaving it as the default used in Windows Xp, type in Workgroup. If you’re not using the Windows Xp default, change it to whatever name you’ve given your Windows Xp network and click OK.

After you click OK, you’ll see the confirmation dialog shown in the figure below. Click OK again, then restart your PC.