Thread: Setting up a linux router

Setting up a linux router

Hello everyone
    I have an old machine that I converted into Linux router. My machine is connected to my Freebox the interface eth0 and eth1 interface to a switch that will connect my machines and my printer. How do I do (services, config, ...) to arrive. At first light, I need to install a dhcp server, a firewall. Is there anything that I forget? Thank you

Re: Setting up a linux router

iptables is a command line tool which allow system administrators to configure Linux packet filtering ruleset.

Using iptables, you are able to tweak packet filtering, Network Address Translation (NAT) and packet mangling which in the end are going to allow you to secure your server, share your Internet connection and log unwanted traffic.

iptables is not really what we could call an easy to get with tool, but once you know the basis, it won't be that scary.

This tutorial will provide a sample script you can use to share your Internet access and will give an overview on how to use iptables

Setting up a linux firewall and router with iptables

The most common function of the Linux router is a connection between two networks. Typically, this would be a LAN and the Internet. For our experiments, given the unavailability of a connection to the Internet fast enough to stress the router sufficiently, we used a server to simulate the Internet.

For performance measurements, we set up a simple router configuration as follows:

• Download a copy of the idiot image (lrp 2.9.8). See the Sidebar “Which Disk Image to Use” for details.
    • Extract the image to a floppy disk (1.44MB/1.68MB super-formatted) and make it bootable. The best way to do so is to use WinImage (www.winimage.com).
    • Get the kernel module for the Ethernet card you are using. We used RealTek Ethernet cards with the RTL8139 chipset, so the module we used was rtl8139.o. Add this to your kernel. Your Linux router is now ready for its configuration. See the Sidebar “Adding Kernel Modules for Ethernet Cards” for details.
    • Boot from your LRP disk and open the network.conf file (located in /etc/network.conf). Now modify it so that it looks like Listing 1 [available at ftp.ssc.com/pub/lj/listings/issue100/5826.tgz]. Appropriate comments are there for modifications.
    • Save the changes and back them up. Reboot.

The configuration of the Linux router is now complete. Now we'll describe its performance in different configurations. Because we are not using dynamic routing, we will define static routes in the following experiments according to the configuration of the experiment. Note: after you are done configuring the Linux router, write-protect the floppy disk you are using.

For more information go to this link.

You might want to try Cyote Linux, it's a very simple and easy to configure version of Linux created for routing purposes.

Also google is your friend: http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTu...rkGateway.html
    http://www.brennan.id.au/06-Firewall_Concepts.html
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever