Thread: Connecting to a network drive through router

sad Connecting to a network drive through router

Hey guys I'm new to the forum.

I'm having trouble connecting to a network drive on my universitys server. The problem is I'm using a router to connect several computers to the internet. The router is then connected to the universitys server, which in turn connects to the internet using a proxy server (I have checked my proxy settings).
    The problem is i can't connect because the information they have supplied assumes I am connected directly to their server and not behind a router.

The path the supply is:
    Code:
    Computer > Map network drive
    \\CRWNSTUH1\(mystudent folder)\(my user id)
    I have tried connecting by using this address:
    Code:
    \\192.168.1.1\CRWNSTUH1\(mystudent folder)\(my user id)
    where 192.168.1.1 is my default gateway
    and there is still no connection.
    I am currently running Windows Vista and using a NETGEAR 54Mbps Wireless Router WGR614 v7.

I would appriciate any help on the matter.

Thank you.

DaemonZ

Re: Connecting to a network drive through router

Try to ping the computer which you want to connect. And you do not need to connect the router as a medium to connect your network computer.
    if suppose your network computer is NTWKCMP1. use :
    Code:
    \\NTWKCMP1
    and not
    Code:
    \\192.168.1.1\NTWKCMP1
    try to ping to ensure connectivity :

Code:
    ping NTWKCMP1
    If you can ping the computer, you will see its IP address in the command prompt. now try to connect to the computer via its IP address :

suppose the network computer's IP is : 192.168.1.56, then use :

Code:
    \\192.168.1.56
    All the best!!

Try to connect without mapping first! if you get through, you can always map it later!

Sorry to revive this thread but I am having the exact same problem. None of the solution above works. Cannot ping the network drive from behind my router. Any other suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by huyrich View Post
    Sorry to revive this thread but I am having the exact same problem. None of the solution above works. Cannot ping the network drive from behind my router. Any other suggestion?
    Did you check the check the icmp settings of windows, just follow the steps given below,

Start>>Run>>firewall.cpl>>Advanced>>Click "Settings" under ICMP

the only option that should be checked is "Allow incoming echo request", hope this helps.

I'm using Windows 7 and couldn't find that option anywhere.
    But in my understanding, that will enable other computers to ping my computer. The problem is I can't ping the network drive and I have no authorization to change settings on that drive.

I'm using Windows 7 and couldn't find that option anywhere.
    But in my understanding, that will enable other computers to ping my computer. The problem is I can't ping the network drive and I have no authorization to change settings on that drive.
    Can you tell us what operating system does the machine have that hosts the share? Is the date/time on your problem machine roughly the same as on the host machine? Can the problem machine ping the host machine? You might as well need to check the Windows Firewall Settings. What excatly are you using for networking "homegroup" or workgroup? If you can ping websites then the network connection is working.

Quote Originally Posted by zachary View Post
    Can you tell us what operating system does the machine have that hosts the share? Is the date/time on your problem machine roughly the same as on the host machine? Can the problem machine ping the host machine? You might as well need to check the Windows Firewall Settings. What excatly are you using for networking "homegroup" or workgroup? If you can ping websites then the network connection is working.
    The network drive is on a Windows 2008 Server. The date/time should be the same. I can ping websites fine, so I don't think the Firewall is a problem.

If I connect directly to the university network, I can ping and access that network drive. But not when I am behind a router.

The network drive is on a Windows 2008 Server. The date/time should be the same. I can ping websites fine, so I don't think the Firewall is a problem.

If I connect directly to the university network, I can ping and access that network drive. But not when I am behind a router.
    Have you shared the drive or folder in the every first place? Are they on the same network segment or are they on a different subnet? If they can ping by IP address and not by name there is a DNS issue. Try mapping to an IP address. You might also want to double check the all the TCP/IP settings on both computers. Except for the actual IP address, they should all be the same.