Thread: Never remember password for Samba

question Never remember password for Samba

Hey everyone,

Ok... I have a Server (XP Pro) that has guests and special users (also XP Pro) that have access to Samba shares over the network (Added through the Management Console). For the special users their passwords and usernames on both the File Server and their personal workstation computers are the same. (So they never get prompted for their own user account password etc) But sometimes they "have to" access the guest shares (through a built in Guest account).

Here is the problem... They will connect to the created Guest account shares and input the Guest username and password when prompted. Then it attempts to use those credentials to access any Samba directories on the Server until they reboot. So when they go back to use their personal Samba (with their workstation credentials) it keeps them logged in as guest and restricts their access to their files.

I would like it to not remember the username and password for the Guest (prompt each time). That way the users can go back and use their Samba directories without an access denied error.

Re: Never remember password for Samba

Well, I could not login to my Samba shares once and then I did this which solved the login problem.

I set my log level = 3 and found that I was getting some password errors such as:

rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:get_md4pw(188) get_md4pw: Workstation

Anyway, after doing some searching, I set
    "unix password synch = no" and bounce the Samba services.

I was then able to join the domain without any problems. Once I set my client to the domain, I went back and reset the "unix password synch = yes" and had no further problems.

1. Be sure you have samba, samba-common, and smbfs installed.

2. You need to be sure that your Linux firewall will permit smb connections. If not you are wasting your time. If you don't have a firewall installed on the linux share, guess what? By default access is denied. Install a firewall to open access. I suggest firestarter.

3. Also, if mapping a network drive in Windows, there is a hyperlink for "Connect using a different user name". Click that and enter a valid user name and password for the Linux share and you should connect. This is a good way to test the share with a known good name and password. Do not check the box to remember, unless it will be this users default (borrowed) name and password.

4. Permissions on a share are still important. If you do not have user access for guest then guest can't access the share. You may need to add an everyone group and then. Double check the path to share! I've trashed my system with a chown command.

sudo chown guest:everyone -R /PathToShare
      Then
      sudo chmod 777 -R /PathToShare

Begin by uncomment the following line:
    netbios name = <MANDRAKE> (whatever linux version)
    then change this one:
    security = user
    by:
    security = share

Then, create a folder "share" in your "/home":
    md /home/share/

Give him the rights of read, write and performance for all:
    chmod a+rwx /home/share

Then uncomment the following lines in your file "smb.conf" and change the path as below

[Public]
    path = /home/share
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = yes
    printable = no

If you set 'guest ok = yes' and 'guest only = yes' in the share definition, what happens? - You should no longer need a password.

And make sure that the 'guest account' = [some user with read+write+execute permissions on the linux box to whatever the directory being shared is]

Hopefully that makes sence.