Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Cannot Network Windows 7 with Windows XP

Re: Cannot Network Windows 7 with Windows XP

hi to all

i am able to share the folders between win7 and xp but when i access the folder i can see only few subfolders rest of the files and folders are not showing? why is that?

Hi A2ZPearl

I think you may need to define as "shared" all the folders and sub-folders which you want to share. Having only a top-level folder defined as "shared" is probably not enough to gain access to all its sub-folders.

Quote Originally Posted by zawy View Post
    I just changed the name of the "group" (aka "workgroup" in XP) from "HOME" to "WORK" and everything is working now. I did that because "HOME" could have possibly been a reserved word in Windows 7 for "home networks" when it needs to be a "work network". But it was probably fixed because I rebooted all the computers.

I use static IP addresses internally because I like using VNC to view and control all PCs through the Firefox browser on any one of them. When I leave the house, I enabled port direction to the PCs through the router (low security) so that I can see and control any PC from my iPhone using a VNC app, or from any other PC that has a browser. It's often better to browse the internet with my iPhone by using VNC to view and control the browser on a PC at home! My 5 home PCs can be accessed from the internet with something like http://12.345.123.456:12345 where the last number is the port number recognized by the router to be for a specific PC and VNC on the PC is set to accept that port number. Then you enter a password which may or may not be encrypted in the java, and has no limit or log for login attempts so it is subject to brute force crack. Internally, it's something like http://192.168.1.101:12345 for the PC at static IP 192.168.1.101.
    Go to the top of the class. Zawy, like others here, I could not see XP machines or my NAS drive in Windows 7 explorer, although I could access them by using the '\\device-name' from the address bar. Changed the network to 'Work', rather than 'Home', and joined all machines + NAS drive to a new workgroup named 'Work'. Problem solved - all visible. Nice one - thanks. I wouldn't have believed it could be so simple!

Problem solved - all visible. Nice one - thanks. I wouldn't have believed it could be so simple!
    Many times the simple things makes us irritate. Anyways you have solved that problem. Many users have also asked that after installation of Windows 7 and can not find the way back to a network connecting them..!! So the answer for them, is that put it in their IP network in seven checks the networks and put options as a home network (not public so you do not block anything) and notice the security settings of 7 to not ask to share a folder password and others and ready ... Not much more back than that ...

After you do all above try this on the shared computer:

1. run secpol.msc (my cojmputer is in another language, so it is more or less like this)
    2. go to local directives
    3. user rights attribution
    4. on the right pane, look for Deny access to this computer by network
    5. remove the GUEST

6. close secpol
    7. right-click the my computer icon and choose manage
    8. users and local groups
    9. users
    10. right pane, double-click Guest
    11. unmark disabled account and click ok
    12. left pane, groups
    13. right pane, double-click Administrators
    14. add Guest

Now try to access again from other computers

Well i faced the same problem. Tried all the stuff like enable file sharing, setting same workgroup, ...etc. Nothing helped but this:
    I noticed that there is a multiple number of network adapters in Device manager. All were hidden so one must click View and enable hidden devices. all of it were named something like ...4to6 adapter. When i removed all these adapters my file/printer sharing and networking with XP clients starts working after reboot. If there is a huge number of these adapters you have to remove it all. It can be done using appropriate (32 or 64 bit version) tool DEVCON.EXE (which is part of Windows Driver Kit - Download details:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...6-7633f2ec14ff Windows Driver Kit Version 7.1.0). More can be found here The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272.
    This i have found here microsoft 6to4 adapter and solution is here Automating "6to4" Adapter Removal in Windows -

Re: Windows 7 Network Problems

Quote Originally Posted by jwJones View Post
    I tried just about every solution posted and still had the same problems: On Windows 7 computers could not view other Windows 7 machines and could not ping them; could not use the "Join Homegroup" option to create and join a homegroup; and could not see the other Windows 7 machines from my other Windows 7 machine.

The fix for me was simply to create a Homegroup on both Windows 7 computers idenpendently of the others and then to set the password of both Homegroups to the same password. Then I could share files between the computers and even see them on the Network Places area under My Computer.

I posted because hopefully this will help some of you looking for a solution to this problem. It is an elusive problem because it looks like a network problem when it is likely just a Windows 7 security protocol issue and is easily resolved by this workaround.
    I have more or less the same issue. My computer and my laptop are connected by a cable (sry, don't know which type it is) without a router. I had Vista on the laptop and XP on the computer and I already had to work for about 2 hours just to get the network going and backup my files from the laptop. I thought that it won't get worse, but I simply can't make a network with Windos 7. The computer can see the laptop but can't access it, and the laptop won't even recognize the network. Any idea besides the ones already mentioned?

For this I will recommend you to use a ftp software. There is tool called FileZilla. First just simply connect your computer with a regular lan cable and then use Filezilla to transfer your files. You can just type ftp in your Explorer and type the IP or computer name. The file transfer rate by this tool is also better and it never broke in between. If you are facing some issue related to connection then try to change the cable from which you had connected your systems.

Re: Windows 7 Network Problems

Quote Originally Posted by nikole View Post
    I have more or less the same issue. My computer and my laptop are connected by a cable (sry, don't know which type it is) without a router. I had Vista on the laptop and XP on the computer and I already had to work for about 2 hours just to get the network going and backup my files from the laptop. I thought that it won't get worse, but I simply can't make a network with Windos 7. The computer can see the laptop but can't access it, and the laptop won't even recognize the network. Any idea besides the ones already mentioned?
    You can check wether your OS is configured to discover networks u'll find it in the network and sharing in control pnel just enable discovery

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34