Thread: Star Coaxial Network with RJ - 45 Adapters Possible ?

Star Coaxial Network with RJ - 45 Adapters Possible ?

This year , I bought a new house that already had coaxial plates installed on almost each rooms. Each plate uses a single wire (no T conectors are used), which makes the whole installation a physical star coaxial network.

Of course, unless I plan to buy 18 TVs and put them everywhere in myhouse, this setup is kind of useless. However, if I could use these coax wires as an ethernet network, it could help me transform my not- so-reliable wireless computers network to a fast reliable wired network.I've found RJ-to-coax adapters that seem to be able to do the conversion. But, as a certified CISCO administrator, my knowledge of coaxial wires consist of knowing that they have been used an eternity ago in physical bus topologies barely reaching 10mb with a lot of instability. So if I put these physical rj-coax converters, will I be able to reach fast ethernet speeds and standards? Will the coax wires ever be able to reliably support a lan-type computers network?

Re: Star Coaxial Network with RJ - 45 Adapters Possible ?

Quote Originally Posted by Protector View Post
    This year , I bought a new house that already had coaxial plates installed on almost each rooms. Each plate uses a single wire (no T conectors are used), which makes the whole installation a physical star coaxial network.

Of course, unless I plan to buy 18 TVs and put them everywhere in myhouse, this setup is kind of useless. However, if I could use these coax wires as an ethernet network, it could help me transform my not- so-reliable wireless computers network to a fast reliable wired network.I've found RJ-to-coax adapters that seem to be able to do the conversion. But, as a certified CISCO administrator, my knowledge of coaxial wires consist of knowing that they have been used an eternity ago in physical bus topologies barely reaching 10mb with a lot of instability. So if I put these physical rj-coax converters, will I be able to reach fast ethernet speeds and standards? Will the coax wires ever be able to reliably support a lan-type computers network?
    To my understanding, coaxial cables, such as RG-6 and RG-58 or 59, can be used for analog broadband networking as promoted by Chipcom and Cabletron in the 1970s/80s. You need a Headend to be able to create the different channels, and each run has to have a terminator. Speed was like what you said (10Mbps) unless you coupled the channels together. I am assuming you have RG-58 or RG-59 (older coax) and not the newer quad-shielded RG-6.

Sounds like the coax runs were for the TVs, not for computer-communication.Personally, it would be better to have a secure wireless than try to tackle coax cabling adaptation. Run a couple of CAT 5es and install wireless access points so that you get better signal distribution. Or run CAT 5e or CAT 6 wiring and change the faceplates to have both coax and CAT 5/6 RJ-45 receptacles.

In my residence, all of my wiring are "home-run" to a main distribution frame (MDF). Each faceplate has 2 CAT5e and 2 quad- shielded RG-6. The MDF is where the main network switch, firewall/ router, and DSL modem reside (with UPS battery backup). I am planning to add a dual fiber run to my relay rack on the second floor, which has my main servers, to provide better electromagnetic frequency isolation between floors due to power surges.

Quote Originally Posted by Protector View Post

Assuming you want to use 10/100 Base-T over these "physical RJ-coax converters", how do they provide conversion of 2-conductor coax to 4-conductor twisted pair ? Any chance the coax can be used as "pull string" for CAT5 wire ?

Quote Originally Posted by DAIJIRO View Post
    Assuming you want to use 10/100 Base-T over these "physical RJ-coax converters", how do they provide conversion of 2-conductor coax to 4-conductor twisted pair ? Any chance the coax can be used as "pull string" for CAT5 wire ?
    I think it is possible with a transformer, but it isn't easy. Also, there will be some loss which will reduce the distance. How well it can be done depends on how close the impedance match is, but coax is usually pretty close. Are they designed for the impedance of your cable? Otherwise, there used to be eight port 10base2 repeaters.One of those, with each cable terminated at 50 ohms might work fine. Even better if you can change the collision detect threshold to the appropriate level for 75 ohm termination.