Thread: Fax Console problems

Fax Console problems

I installed shared fax server on server 2003 and worked flawlessly over the network. It was working on 3 xp based machines, and 6 terminal servers. I then uninstalled the fax server, tried to install on another server and did not work properly. i then reinstalled it back on the original server. Unfortunately under fax console on the networked computers it doesn't show the outbox, and inbox on the server. It still sends faxes with no problem from any of the workstations, but i just can't see what's been received or what's been sent out. On the server fax console shows everything. Thanks in advance.

Re: Fax Console problems

Have you consider the following points while Installing Fax component.

1. The first thing to check for is that the Fax hardware is supported by Windows HCL. Verify the Fax-Modem is listed on HCL.
      If not verify from here:http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx
    2. Second, verify that the latest drivers are installed for the Fax device
    3. The modem should be a Class 1 Fax Modem.

Location of log files associated with Fax:
    • FaxSetup.log => C:\Windows
    • Fax Configuration => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Support\faxcfg.log
    • SBSMSI-Fax.log => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small Business Server 2003\Logs\SBSMSI-Fax.log
    • SBSMSI-Faxcfg.log => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small Business Server 2003\Logs\SBSMSI- Faxcfg.log

If you are having Windows XP on the networked computers, I think you will not get Fax Console in it. The new Fax Console is not installed by default when you install Windows XP, so you’ll need to install it using Add/Remove Windows Components.

Quote Originally Posted by yuppicide View Post
    Have you consider the following points while Installing Fax component.

1. The first thing to check for is that the Fax hardware is supported by Windows HCL. Verify the Fax-Modem is listed on HCL.
      If not verify from here:http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx
    2. Second, verify that the latest drivers are installed for the Fax device
    3. The modem should be a Class 1 Fax Modem.

Location of log files associated with Fax:
    • FaxSetup.log => C:\Windows
    • Fax Configuration => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Support\faxcfg.log
    • SBSMSI-Fax.log => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small Business Server 2003\Logs\SBSMSI-Fax.log
    • SBSMSI-Faxcfg.log => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small Business Server 2003\Logs\SBSMSI- Faxcfg.log
    The fax modem is working properly and is supported by server 2003. It is, and was working properly with no problems in sending and receiving faxes. The issue which i'm having is that on the client computers the fax console no longer shows the inbox, and outbox faxes. When i first installed it everything was working fine. I uninstalled it, and then had reinstalled it, and after this reinstall on server 2003 fax console on the clients would not show the faxes when before it did. I can still send from all the clients with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by darth View Post
    This does not apply in this situation. I am not having issues with Outlook as I do not use that at all for faxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shen View Post
    If you are having Windows XP on the networked computers, I think you will not get Fax Console in it. The new Fax Console is not installed by default when you install Windows XP, so you’ll need to install it using Add/Remove Windows Components.
    Fax console worked properly and can be used on XP based computers. I set it up originally and had it working before and this issue became a problem when i uninstalled fax server on my server running server 2003, and reinstalled it. It's almost like the connections have been severed and it's not being reconnected properly to the fax server.

I installed it following these instructions.
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5148992.html

Your problem is that you have the permissions missing for the faxes. you have to put it in for any user (obviously domain users) to be able to view any faxes. get it under fax console, tools, fax console management, right click on the fax local, properties, security tab. you have to enable manage documents.

Hope this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by techwizard View Post
    Your problem is that you have the permissions missing for the faxes. you have to put it in for any user (obviously domain users) to be able to view any faxes. get it under fax console, tools, fax console management, right click on the fax local, properties, security tab. you have to enable manage documents.

Hope this helps you.
    Hey Tech, it's late, but i finally made it back up to the machine that was having problems, and your solution fixed the problem!!! Thanks so much for your advice.