Thread: Which Router will be suitable for bonding 2 or 3 Dsl cable connection?

Which Router will be suitable for bonding 2 or 3 Dsl cable connection?

Hi, Tom here , I Want to combine or bond 3 (and perhaps 4 or 5) DSL connections together, therefore i am looking for suitable compatible hardware device can is in a position to suggest a suitable cisco router for this?

Re: Which Router will be suitable for bonding 2 or 3 Dsl cable connection?

If you don't have the active cooperation of your ISP, then you are unlikely to get -any- Cisco product to work. As far as I understand, in order to bond DSL, you need the ISP to be running PPPoE and have configured to allow multilink bundles at the PPP level. This implies that the ISP is running PPPoE, and implies they are willing to enable multilink for you. (It also implies that all of your connections are to the -same- ISP.) , a different vendor who somehow overlays bonding on top of DSL. Unfortunately, I do not recall the vendor or equipment model, as this is not something I've needed to use.

Actually I already have the ISP on board,(and it is PPPoE). But I would prefer to use my "own" gateway router,(and I have no experience with using cisco on a dsl line) Also, does BGP work when used to combine dsl connections
    from different providers?.

External BGP neighbors normally sit on directed connected networks.When one has multiple parallel links the a load balancing technique is to use loop back address in the configuration for the EBGP neighbor. Static routes are configured pointing to the loopback address on the far-side neighbor.I would not recommend you try to bundle links from different ISP if using over these links. You have to use the EBGP-multi-hop feature and trying to figure out the hop count to prove to be a very interesting exercise.

Hello, it is possible to bond these together, and actually you don't need support from the ISP (e.g. MLPPP) to support this. Nor do you need to mess with BGP. It is not a cisco solution but may I suggest you take a further look if you are interested. For example, you can combine four DSL lines at 6Mbps down/ 768k up each to create a 24 Mbps down/ 3Mbps up data connection. Even a single file transfer, single streaming video source, or single VPN connection will have access to the full bandwidth, unlike other load balancing solutions. For more details please see do a Google search on "Mushroom Networks" May your future networks have mushrooms in them...it really cool just try it out. .

Thanks you all for such an excellent response and especially to effren. mushrooms networks are really cool. you guys are great.