Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The dependency service or group failed to start

The dependency service or group failed to start

I posted the following below in another thread under Diagnostic policy service not running. Sounds related --------Came across several postings about this and related. Forgive me for not being more articulate with communicating techincal terms, but I will try and keep it short. I will check to see if it helps or anyone needs more info. First I read in a thread posting the problem could have something to do with group policy on my computer "Local Service" not being established. The thread, as I remember, refered to a "netsh command" under the CMD prompt to establish the "Local Service" group ( for the newby I guess, many services belong to this group) exsisted. I found out that I received an error because my group did. Probably good to check any way. Next, the thread, not sure if it was the same one fore mention, (I have been spending quit a bit of time trying to solve this problem with out crashing my computer. So fellow newbys beware!) I ran a pre-exsisting snap-in console "Comexp.msc" and checked the security settings for "my computer". If needed I will go into more details about securty settings for any that may need or want. But I prefer at this point you try looking into other threads on that subject if you are that new. Started this task because of frustration with vista. But, don't want to seem basis about software. Since the economy is bad, freely shared info to solve problems (whether good or bad) I think is the solution to many problems.

I tried the various methods listed - none actually worked for me but then I had a "once in a lifetime" piece of lateral thinking:
    If Vista is complaining about not being able to start a service then maybe it's been disabled. So I looked in Services (Admin Tools) and clicked the Startup Type column so they were sorted and easy to see which ones were disabled.
    Sure enough, there was Network Location Awareness marked as Disabled (it was that I was having trouble with). I changed it to Auto and everything now works. Of course I could have changed to Manual and started it when needed.

Problem: Dependency service or group failed to start

To solve this, you can check the service COM+ Event System. If this service is disable or stop, we cannot start any other services, and we often see the problem above.

If after starting that service, the problem appears again, you can find the other way.

"Dependency service or group failed to start" and unable to start Diagnostic Policy Service manually

My access to internet failed since yesterday. I checked and all hardware are working properly. I've done researches and so far, and still no luck, here's what I have done so far after the problem exist:

1) tried to use scannow on cmd, no error found
    2) installed SP1 on my Vista as some people said it may correct the problem but it does not, and it also erased all my previous restore point that I could use and may have fixed the problem?
    3) replaced nlasvc.dll per some suggestion I found online, it's not working either
    4) When I opened IE and obviously it'll say connection problem. So I clicked "Diagnose Connection Problems", it says "Network Diagnostics cannot run because Diagnostics Policy Service is not running". So I opened the Service Manager and tried to start the Diagnostics Policy Service manually, it failed with mssg: "Error 5: Access is denied".
    5) Some peopel say it is the corruption in the TCP/IP Stack, so I tried command Prompt type : netsh winsock reset and reset, not working.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated. I really hope to fix this without having reinstall the OS

Thanks!

P.S. Just remembered something.... the only incident in before and after the problem is, the power failure in my house area, while my computer was plugged in and running without a battery inserted. I'm not sure if that accident shut down is the cause of this problem or not.
    Last edited by racingracing; 05-01-2009 at 12:42 AM.

''Begin with Start (bottom left of your desktop). Where is stays ''Start
    search', enter 'cmd'. A new window opens. Type 'sfc /scannow' and that
    begins the scan and repair process''

I've been having this same problem ever since I uninstalled Toshiba component software to replace it with a more up to date software. Back to the point, I have been browsing the replies and I have come across people stating that the cmd requires you to be an administrator. In response to this I have worked out that to begin this process as an administrator. After you have typed in 'sfc /scannow' and it has completed you will be required to restart your machine.

Before opening the cmd, you must right click on this and click on 'run as administrator' and allow under UAC. I hope this proves helpful to you and that I haven't repeated anyone.

I have just carried out this and the result of it was that it did work for me but there is accounts of this failing to work for other people. I hope this has come of some help to people.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A300 1BZ, originally came with Vista Home Premium then I installed XP and recently put on Vista Business.

I spoke to Linksys about this issue as I was getting this error when I tried to long on the internet from my wireless adapter. He found me this forum and I tried everything to no avail. I decided to go out on a limb and go to Future Shop and talk to the teckies. They told me that there was nothing I could do but reinstall my OS. I figured I was going to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium from Vista Home premium(factory installed) anyway, and knowing I would lose everything either way, I bought it. He also advised me against trying it cause it could make things work and they would do it for huge bucks. What a joke! Not only did the upgrade work with no problems, it corrected this corruption and sped up my connection as well. It is a $130 upgrade, but soooo totally worth every penny. It would have cost me a fortune to get my software and media files back. Vista sux!

Hi, i searched and tried for hours to resolve this issue with my HP laptop with vista. I saw on here a post to do the following and it worked. Thanks to that person. I had that many internet searches going I could not trackback to the person to thank them.

right click the 'cmd' prompt in start/allprograms/accessories and run as administrator.
    type netsh winsock reset and hit enter.
    it will come up with some error warning. don't worry about that.
    then type netsh int ip reset and hit enter. it will ask you to restart.
    This honestly worked after hours of searching and trying different things. something about a TCP/IP stack. Thanks to who that was that provided the tip. Great job.

For those who need administrator privileges in cmd follow these steps:

1. Pres WINDOWS button and type there CMD
    2. When the CMD file shows up in the list right-click it and chose Run as Administrator. this way you can use sfc /scannow.

go to start menu and type cmd in the search bar and open cmd with
    administrator rights

1.type netsh winsock reset and hit enter....nevermind if it sais
    something about an error
    2.type netsh int ip reset and hit enter....
    3. restart you computer...and the error should be gone and the internet
    working

Since my computer showed all the symptoms described above, I was very hopeful when trying the advised method:
    1) netsh winsock reset
    2) netsh int ip reset
    3) reboot

However it didn't work.
    Could the reason be that by mistake, I first did 2 instead of 1 ? however I redid 1 followed by 2 after that.
    I also tried both cmd as user and as administrator.

Maybe a useful observation is that no error appeared after 1.
    What did appear though was after 2: reseting Echo failed ! access denied

Any help will be greatly appreciated

I too have this problem I have tried all of the suggestions given short of a complete reinstall. Has anyone any idea how to solve this problem reliably without such drastic action?

Finally recovering the system from an earlier date worked.

I went through everything I could find to fix the same problem. I finally, in DOS did a startup repair ??? it worked for me. Good luck it was extremely frustrating!!!

I went through the CMD process of going through the netsh int ip and winsock reset and it still doesnt work .. ? Any suggestions? Resetting the netsh int ip lets me reset the interface, but fails to reset the echo request..

The problem is that I abnormally rebooted my computer, did even a few system restores and nothing is working out..

Re: The dependency service or group failed to start

I'm replying to an old posting, but I want to thank Rbatrack for his solution to the problem. The wireless connection on my Gateway laptop with Windows Vista operating system was red x'd out and I got the same message "The dependency service or group failed to start". When I tried connect I kept getting the message "Start DHCP client Service". But it wouldn't start. I was thinking I might have to reinstall Windows. I did a search on "dependency service or group failed to start" and along with several other links that didn't help, I found this topic on this forum.
    I tried the solution above from Rbatrack and it worked! I'm connected!

Your are The MAN...

My father's laptop was having the same issue and i did everything i know, and i was so close to format his laptop. But thank god i found your post it solved the issue.

If you don't mind i want to copy your solution and post it in my blog with reference to you and to this forum.

I tried this twice and it didn't work for me - anyone got any other ideas??

I've got the same problem, I've tried a number of fixes (every fix listed on this thread) but haven't had any luck. If anyone has any other ideas I'd be really greatful!

thanks for the update - tried that... still no luck.

I'm thinking it's gonna have be given to my computer repair guru

Re: Help! Dependency service or group failed to start

If this is your problem: Reset the winsock countless times using netsh command, reinstalled your hardware through the device manager countless times, are virus free/ malware free, get errors when using netsh int ip reset, and the SFC finds errors but cannot repair them OR Location awareness Serivce, Diagnostic service, and several other internet related services are telling you "Access denied" this is most likely your solution!!!!!

Add localservice and networkservice to the administrator group.

Click the start button, search for cmd. Right click, run as Admin.

Type in the following commands:

net localgroup administrators localservice /add
    net localgroup administrators networkservice /add
    exit

Then reboot.

Yes. That's it! And after 4 years my Asus A8V running vista ultimate X64 can finally access the internet through an added ethernet card instead of wirelessly! Asus never bothered to release any vista driver for this motherboard.

After hours of researching on the internet and trying different fixes, This one did the trick. I can stop pulling my hair out now.

I never post anywhere on technical help forums but that reply about the command prompt was soo good and fixed everything that I have to take my hat off to the author. Cheers man.

Re: Help! Dependency service or group failed to start

"The dependency service or group failed to start"-Windows7

I get the above msg in "Network nd sharing center" in Windows7, so i couldnt connect to the net either through Lan or Wifi. When i go for troubleshooting option its says problem found:"The diagnostic policy service is not running", when i tried to start it manually from services.msc i get another error:"Windows could not start the Diagnostic Policy Service on Local Computer; Error 5: Access is denied".

I googled to find a solution for this problem. I referred the following sites
    1.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943996

I had followed the steps given in those sites: "It is possible the permissions on a specific registry key was altered. You can try correcting this by going to Start, type regedit in the command prompt, right click the regedit program and select Run as Administrator. In the Registry Editor click the arrow to expand the selection, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services, DPS, right click Parameters and choose Permissions. On the Permissions screen, select the TrustedInstaller user. If you do not see the TrustedInstaller user, click Add, type NT Service\TrustedInstaller and press OK. Ensure that the Full Control and Read permissions are checked for the TrustedInstaller user".

But even after doing all that the problem persists i.e "The dependency service or group failed to start" nd "Windows could not start the Diagnostic Policy Service on Local Computer; Error 5: Access is denied" when tried to start the service manually.

I tried the following options:
    1. sfc /scannow
    2. Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log
    3. Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog
    4. msconfig->"normal startup"
    5. uninstalled all network devices nd restarted

Inspite of trying all the above options, the problem still persists.

Please help me out. Thnx in advance.

I've been having problems with my computer giving me the dependency service or group failed to start on my internet. I'm connected to the internet but it claims that the connection status is unknown and when I try to run the sfc/scannow it says "there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. restart windows and run sfc again". When I restarted my computer and tried again, it gave me the same message. My computer has also been unable to check for updates or to actually install them. I have windows vista and my computer is a Gateway.

i didnt see ur post before i posted my problem, i have been trying to get rid of this problem for about 2 weeks, but ur solution worked like a charm, im very thankful to you mebdrew.

I dont know why u people are targeting me..!
    thnks 4 ur support Gene E. Bloch.

Click the start button, search for cmd. Right click, run as Admin.
    1) netsh winsock reset
    2) netsh int ip reset
    3) net localgroup administrators localservice /add
    4) net localgroup administrators networkservice /add
    5) exit
    Then reboot.

did it for me.

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast