Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The dependency service or group failed to start

Re: Help! Dependency service or group failed to start

Thank you- I be very grateful!

My problem was pretty clear: I could not connect to the internet via wireless card or LAN cord.

Here's what did it for me (from mebdrew's reply to the thread on July 1, 2010):

1) Click Start (lower left Windows icon), go to Programs, then Accessories and highlight Command Prompt. Right click and select Run as Administrator.

2) At the C:\ prompt, type in the following commands:

net localgroup administrators localservice /add (then hit enter)
    net localgroup administrators networkservice /add (then hit enter)

3) Reboot.

Voila!

Re: The dependency service or group failed to start

Thank you so much, you are all life savers, literally. I have been fighting with my computer for over 2 weeks now and was about to pay to try and get it fixed or be forced to reinstall the operating system but thanks to your suggestions the problem is solved. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Dear lord, I've been struggling with a laptop with this issue for a short time, tried alsorts. Inplace upgrade, netsh winsock reset, reinstalling the device drivers thinking it might show up as faulty, chkdsk to see if drive was on its way out, memcheck, grrrr. None of it worked.

Until the magic that is "tsisante00" showed up. 3 things which I completely forgot to do. reset the ip, adding permissions to localservice and networkservice.

Noob mistake.

Cheers my good man and Happy New Year!

Tried all the cmd prompts and Im getting a blue screen of death after I reboot..seems to be just a collection of numbers (mainly 0's but it flashes so quickly I cannot see), any ideas?

You can solve this issue with the help of the Registry Editor. Just follow the steps below and see if this works for you.
    1. First of all click on the Start > Run. There you have to type Regedit.exe.
    2. After that go to the below branch
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Spooler
    3. From the right-pane you have to double-click on DependOnService value.
    4. Now delete existing data and after that type RPCSS
    5. Finally close Regedit.exe.

Hey hello,..

I got the above message and noticed a number of drivers, including for network connection did not start.

The problem must have occurred when my MSI lap top went into stand by mode as the battery was low, while I was watching a video clip.

Tried the suggestion of doing the CMD scan in the command prompt but that does not work.

What DOES is a system restore.

Go to start,
    click programs
    click accessories
    click system tools
    click system restore

I chose a restore point several updates before the actual event.

It works.
    After about 20 min the PC restarted and all problems gone.
    Save solution and it does a system restore without effecting the document files

good luck!

After reading the previous threads and trying all manner of fixes including long chat sessions with microsoft (which seem to have made matters worse) I still can't solve the problem. I have tried system restore but it will only go back as far as the last attempt to install SP1, which was the cause of the problem in the first place. If anyone has any further ideas I would be eternally grateful. One thing that I have noticed is that when attempting to add localgroup administrators networkservice, cmd came up with 'no network service found'. Any suggestions?

You can try this and see if that is helping you or not. Just go to Start>Run and type in services.msc afterward press Enter. After that you will see find Print Spooler on the left of the window. You will have to right click on that and select Properties from there. Go to Recovery tab and modify three drop-down boxes and that will restart the Service. Confirm that two text boxes underneath say 1 within them. Click Ok till you go back to the Services window. Once you have done this then it will reset if your Print Spooler craps out.

Hats off tsisante00 for that! Cheers!

ThumbsUp Re: The dependency service or group failed to start

Thank you .. this work, saved me a complete reload.. Thank you very much..!!!

Hi, I keep getting the Dependency service or group failed to start message even when i try to to open cmd as an administrator.
    I have a toshiba satellite laptop with vista as the OS. Can anyone help me?

Hurray!!

Thank you

I had this problem from couple of days, The suggestion from tsisante00 helped.

There was one problem though in the beginning, while trying the
    "netsh int ip reset"
    command it would display following message.
    "The requested command requires elevation"
    the solution to that is to right click your command prompt(cmd) and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
    then type in the three magic lines one after the another to get a successful result. Do not forget to reboot after entering all the commands.

Cheers to all once again.

Re: The dependency service or group failed to start.

After reading your problem query, the only solution which i think will work for you is uninstalling the current Windows Vista Operating System form your system and reinstalling a proper version of Windows Vista in your system. Make sure that you are performing clean install. Clean install means you are completely formatting the system and again installing the files. After installing the new OS you just need to make sure that you have installed all the necessary drivers and utilities in your system. This will probably help you solve your issue.

This seems to be the most helpful forum on this topic. I have been following the 5 steps above, but after the second I get the following message:

Reseting echo request, failed
    Access is denied
    Reseting interface, ok!

I reboot and the problem still exists. Can anyone help?

i would like to suggest you the following steps and so that you can solve your issue. to do this first make click on the start icon and after that select the all program and then click on the Accessories. now on the accessories make right click on the Command Prompt and after that select the Run as Administrator. now on the command prompt type the below and after that hit the enter:
    netsh winsock reset
    now once you done this and after that restart your system and then go through your isssue.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast