Thread: Adobe PDF Maker plugin error message

Adobe PDF Maker plugin error message

After installing Office 2003, I am getting the below error message if I am trying to open Word or Excel:

"Microsoft Excel [or Word depending on what I open] has detected that your computer has a version of Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker that is known to cause instabilities in Excel...."

I checked many websites for a solution but was unable to find anything to get rid of the error. I also found a MS knowledge base article that was telling me to get a new version of PDFMaker from the Adobe website, but since I am not allowed to but new program, then this is out the question. The PDFMaker is working properly if I choose "continue anyway" but I need to correct this error message that is really frustrating me. Any ideas? Thanks

Follow the below method to solve this problem:
    1. Quit your Office 2003 program.
    2. Click Start, and then click Search.
    3. Click All files and folders.
    4. In the All or part of the file name box, type pdfmaker.dot (for Microsoft Office Word), pdfmaker.xla (for Microsoft Office Excel), or pdfmaker.ppa (for Microsoft Office PowerPoint), and then click Search.
    5. Rename every occurrence of these files.

More information is given on this website - http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/ex...001098322.aspx

Re: Adobe PDF Maker plugin error message

Microsoft has a solution, follow this link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...983221033.aspx

However, this did not work for my version of Word. I had to open Word, go to "Word Options," find the path and file name of the add-in and then delete it from that location. I'm not sure why it didn't work when I did the search then deleted the file (probably operator error), but it worked when I went to the exact location and deleted it.

I was so happy when I stopped receiving that error! It was so annoying! Good luck! I don't know how old your posting is, but you've probably solved the problem by now! If nothing else, maybe this will help folks who experience this problem in the future!

By the way, downloading the new software wouldn't have worked anyway. Adobe no longer supports add-ins for Word - I had researched this on their website as well.

Re: Adobe PDF Maker plugin error message

I have had the same unpleasent experience with this annoying error message and the MS fix not working. How do I find the file path in word to change as you stated; "However, this did not work for my version of Word. I had to open Word, go to "Word Options," find the path and file name of the add-in and then delete it from that location.
    Thanks