Thread: Office Professional 2007 shows "for non-commercial use"

Office Professional 2007 shows "for non-commercial use"

I had recently upgraded from the trail edition of Microsoft Office 2007 Pro. Now it is the full edition. But somehow it looks that the edition is not getting activated well. I am going to use it in my office and it is showing me for non commercial usage. That is really weird. Does anyone has any idea about this. What is it and is this going to create any kind of problem.

No I do not think that is something to worry about. You can simply use it. But if you think there is some problem with the activation you can re-install the same and activate it. That is another good thing to try. You can try to remove the old edition and then add the fresh one back and run the activation process.

I found a link below. I think that has ample of information on the problem that you are facing. The only meaning of non-commercial usage means you cannot use Office for business. You can use that for your personal work. And it does not means that it will be limited in feature compared to a commercial license. Just go through the link and you would be able to understand that more properly.

The title bar displays "non-commercial use" when you start an Office Home and Student 2007, 2010 or 2013 program

Re: "non-commercial use" in title bar.

As DL stated above, the non-commercial use problem is caused if the Home & Student version of Office is installed, and you do not remove it prior to installing a upgrade commercial version.

The nice thing is... you just have to go Control Panel > Uninstall Programs, and remove the Home & Student version.

You DO NOT need to uninstall your upgrade commercial version. It will not be uninstalled.

MS Office checks the registry settings each time it launches and updates them. So what happens is after uninstalling the Home & Student Version, when you relaunch Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, as they come up, you will temporarily see the non-commerical banner in the titlebar, and then in a few seconds, the non-commerical banner will disappear (FOREVER) from the title bar.

I did this on a new HP laptop, after installing Office Ultimate and without having removed the trial version of Office Home & Student first. It worked perfectly, I did not have to re-install anything from Office Ultimate, and I got back 340MB of disk space that was being wasted by the trial version.

Hope this helps everyone who has this problem.

I would hope that the newer Office 07 CDs have made the install over trial
    version simpler and more reliable. The major hassles occurred with the
    original Office 07 install CD's and P/Cs with OEM Vista and a trial install
    of OEM provided Office 07 student. It's quite possible that if eveything was
    done exactly correctly, under "controlled conditions", the problem would not
    have occurred for an individual user. Sadly, there are a lot of variations
    that can occur from one install to another.

Re: Office Professional 2007 shows "for non-commercial use"

all i can say is that even the thought of un- and re-installing everything when upgrading to such a 'prestigious' product as office small business and higher and still getting the 'non-commercial use' error is highly un-professional and just another indication of the ms market domination complex at the cost of the consumer - just think how many man-hours are wasted by the above process.
    i have the same situation and will use it for commercial purposes even if it reminds me otherwise, i mean, i've loaded the upgrade and have it in my possession, haven't i??!!

Re: Office Professional 2007 shows "for non-commercial use"

We also had this same problem to a couple of our systems and usually results from installing Office 2007 Pro using either an enterprise key or MAPS key when there is a trial version installed by the OEM. The solution is to un-install the OEM trial and then reinstall - or live with the message.

I am currently dealing with the same problem. I tried to install Office 2007 not realizing that an Outlook 2010 beta was installed. Then found Office 2007 pro was installed already as well and also a home and student version. I have had a nightmare trying to uninstall all these versions and the clean install is simply not working... currently going through the registry for well over an hour...

Shayne

Quote Originally Posted by shayneneal View Post
    I am currently dealing with the same problem. I tried to install Office 2007 not realizing that an Outlook 2010 beta was installed. Then found Office 2007 pro was installed already as well and also a home and student version. I have had a nightmare trying to uninstall all these versions and the clean install is simply not working... currently going through the registry for well over an hour...

Shayne
    If you are having the H&S cd, you uninstall all of Office, reboot, then commence the install of your upgrade, when it complains about old version not found it offers the choice of browse to, select this option swap the cd with your H&S, once verified, re swap cd & continue the installation of the office version that you are looking for.

I only get that "version is not the same as expected" error when I run Outlook... but it just has an OKAY button.

Shayne