Thread: "Connecting to Printer, Press ESC to Cancel" Message-> Freezes

"Connecting to Printer, Press ESC to Cancel" Message-> Freezes

I’m using Windows Vista with Quad Core processor, 2GB RAM and good graphics card. I installed Office 2007 Pro Plus on this system without any problem. But now working with any of the Office applications, whenever I try to run command, access Menu or try to paste something I use to get a message at the bottom saying “Connecting to Printer.” During this my Office gets freezed for about 4 to 5 minutes and wont allow me to do anything. Sometimes I can cancel this freeze by hitting ESC key but it wont work always.

Any idea what is happening? Please provide me some solutions. Many Thanks.

Re: "Connecting to Printer, Press ESC to Cancel" Message-> Freezes

Obviously the problem is related to your printer. Is it working fine and printing everything OK? You should try updating your Printer drivers through Windows Update or from Printer’s manufacturer website. Or you can do is Open Printers folder, remove the printer, and add it back using the Add Printer Wizard. See if it helps. Reply with the results.

Thank you very much for the help Toby. I Tried updating drivers form printers manufacturer site. My driver was up to date but still I tried re-installing the same but it dint fixed the problem. I also tried adding it back using the Add Printer Wizard, yet no success.

Any other help please?

Here is the best proposed solution so far:

1) Change Default printer
    2) Start/Use Word
    3) Close word
    4) Change Default printer back
    5) Work with every other application on my machine as normal.

I have had this problem too, but today I uninstalled the convert to PDF add-in and also the XPS printer. The problem seems to have gone, except for in the first document I open - but even then the delay is much less.

Is this of any help to anyone?

Has anyone got a pernament fix in place, other that a work around. Surely this is a big thing and is affecting loads of people, arnt microsoft aware of this? This must be affecting a lot of busineses.

Is there not away to remove this annoying feature?

I have the same problem with Office XP running in Win XP SP3 and my Wireless HP J6400 printer. Word locks every 5 secs for 1-2 secs, while communicating with printer. I am desperately looking for a solution or I will revert to previous scheme of sharable USB printer.

i had the same issue with Vista and a network printer... after some digging i finally did a windows update through MS Office.. it has resolved my issue..

I recently had this problem wit my ASUS laptop, here's what I found.
    The problem ws a conflictin program, in my case it was "Registry Mechanic" from PC Tools. I removed ALL PCtools programs.
    Then, I turned my computer off. Then I removed the battery from the back.
    Then I held down the on/off button for 40 seconds (without it plugged in).
    Then I waited for 30 minutes for the computer to cool down.
    Then plugged it in (still without the battery), and started up Windows (I have Windows 7).
    Then put the battery back in.

By doing all that, my computer reset it's CMOS to default, and everythiong worked fine.

Not sure if you need to do all that, as I believe the PCTools pogram was really the key.