Thread: Slow opening files

Slow opening files

I have got a pc on the network that has started taking some long seconds to open word or excel files if we double click on the file from Windows Explorer or even from the desktop. If we are using file/open within Word or Excel then the file opens before we can blink and word and excel will startup just as quick when opening the program. I tried to disable the McAfee virus scan but that didnt work. I have also checked that the google toolbar isnt installed and all network printers are connected as well. I did run a repair for Office but that didnt help. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks.

RE: Slow opening files

Can you check the Task Manager for CISVC.EXE, just try to kill this task and see if it solves the time it takes to opne files. If it doesn, then you can also go into services and turn off Indexing Service, because it is also known to slow down opening all Microsoft applications.

Re: Slow opening files

I followed the steps that you have given me, but it didnt help me. Also I am using the Office 2003 version.

Well, if the issue is only when you double click on a file to open it, then the issue is most likely to be DDE. It can be fixed by reinstalling or by following the steps given - Just open Contol Panel > Folder Options > File Types > Scroll Down and select Doc for Word files or XLS for Excel files > Click Advanced > Select Open Entry > Click the edit button. After that uncheck "Use DDE" and then put you cursor in the Application box, arrow all the way to the right ad put in "%1" by including the quote marks, if there is /dde then remove it and then press ok to make your way out.

Thak you very much for your workarround, it worked to me.

Now I wonder if there is any solution to solve the problem without to uncheck the "Use DDE".

Something I observed is that while opening the files the CPU use, on task administrator, reaches up to the 90% value.

I have many different extensions (xlt, dot, ppt, etc.) and I would like to mantain the DDE (if I don't use it, do you think it can affect to any function?).