Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Excel 2003 documents open slow or do not open.

Re: Excel 2003 documents open slow or do not open.

hehheh, I got the notification of your reply just as I was doing the same thing. :-)

I found out about it on another thread here, which mentioned removing both KB2502786 and KB2541025.

KB2502786 wasn't on my system, and removing only KB2541025 didn't seem to totally clear things up. I was still getting a delay, and I also got a warning about one of the files being unsafe upon opening it, and I'm 100% positive about the file being just fine.

I noticed KB2509503 on the list of installed updates on the machines being dated a day after the missing KB2502786 was released (4/11/11), and looking it up showed that it was a very similar update, so I uninstalled it as well, and both machines are working just fine now. =)

I found the issue! :) YAY!!

Uninstall Excel update #KB2541025 then restart... Viola! enjoy

Start-Control Panel - Add & Remove Programs (Check Show Updates). Look for Microsoft Office File Verification and Remove it.

***Solution***

Dear Friends,

I was also facing this problem from some time tried every thing and read all post but nothing worked out for me..

Finally I found out the solution is very simple.

Go to Control Panel --> Add remove Programs --> select view all updates.

Remove Microsoft Office Security Patch " KB2509503"

Your problem is resolved.
    Cheers !!
    Kamal Kant Sharma

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

Uninstalling KB2541025 then KB2509503 has fixed the problem for me.

Guy's this is great. I had a XP Pro Machine running Excel 2003 which has a share mapped to a 2008 Box. The files were about 2 megs and would take a few minutes to open but would eventually. I also recently Installed a HP ProCurve 2510 48 port and had an error on the port that this machine was connected to. The errors eventually went away but i was banging my head as I updated the NIC Drivers, tried connecting the machine to a good known port etc etc. After reading this I logged into this machine and both KB2541025 & KB2509503 were Installed. Removed both of them, rebooted and "POOF" the files open right away. This is totally Awesome...........Thank you,

Bill...

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC_PPF View Post
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

Uninstalling KB2541025 then KB2509503 has fixed the problem for me.
    This worked for me as well. I had a user that could not open a particular XLS file on a network share. The document was fine, i had other users that could open it, but this one person coudl not. If it was copied locally... it would work, but not over the network.

I removed KB2541025 without any change.

I removed KB2509503 and then the file opened!

Does anyone know why this user could have this security patch installed for weeks (maybe even months) then all of a sudden start having this problem?

In any case, i am just happy that it is working now.

Quote Originally Posted by 409industries View Post
    Does anyone know why this user could have this security patch installed for weeks (maybe even months) then all of a sudden start having this problem?
    That's what I'd like to know. I just had to uninstall those updates on another machine today. Just like the previous ones, the updates were installed within days after they were released (around April 13th) and the problem didn't come up until 2 to 3 months later.

It seems like there's a hidden cache of some sort related to the update that fills up over time and causes this problem, but that's just a shot in the dark.

I uninstalled KB2541025 and KB2509503 a few days ago and fixed the problem with the very slow opening up of excel documents. But then windows reinstalled the updates automatically and I had to re-uninstall the updates. Then change the settings in windows update to not automatically update.........seems to be a real pain to manually install updates and not check the box for those 2 updates......

Anybody know of a way to let Microsoft know about the problem and see if they can make a fix for it?

Quote Originally Posted by 3stooge View Post

Anybody know of a way to let Microsoft know about the problem and see if they can make a fix for it?
    Well, if many people are facing similar problems then microsoft should release a patch to fix this issue. And I dont understand why this updates were released which were buggy at the very first place. After uninstalling the updates, the only way to stay away from this bug is to stop the windows update, but then how will we get security updates for the future support of hardware's and software, one way or the other the customers only have to suffer.

Same issue here.

We have systems affected in US, UK.

How do can I get in touch with MS and have them release some sort of patch/hotfix for this?

Thanks,

MS has a "FixIt" utility that specifically addresses this problem with 4 options, one of which is turning off the new verification of Excel files in the registry I found following links from somewhere on this site and am back searching for the same link as can't find on the MS support fixit site.

Thank you so much for identifying this issue! We've been weeks with various clients struggling with this issue when accessing files remotely. Now if I can just find that fixit item to point my IT guy to!

Jim
    Last edited by BigJimB; 02-08-2011 at 01:17 AM.

Here's the links that addrsss and resolve this issue with options from another string at this forum.

Slow Opening of Excel Files through a Network

I just removed the update #KB2541025 and it did nothing to speed up opening Excel files on my computer.

Any other suggestions?

My problem

Files take forever to open in Excel. Double clicking an Excel file with or without Excel being open, or with Excel already open and either using the open command, recent file or Dragging and dropping a file onto Excel.

After I also removed KB2502786 update my problem was resolved.

Removing both KB2541025 and KB2502786 solves the problem

Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast